+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's I..

I'm Steve.

Default Here's I..

I'm from Staffordshire in the UK. I've been into many different aspects of audio, vintage audio and video since 1977. These include vintage radio (30s - 60s), vintage TV (up to the early 50s), vintage video (all formats), vintage hifi (from valves to solid state) and 60s portable radios including large high spec ones. I use a 'normal' high quality, solid state set up for my every day listening; Quad 44/405, Sony tuner, Garrard 401/SME/Ortofon MC, Revox A77, Tandberg 440A cassette, Tannoy XT 6F speakers.

I'm a qualified electronics engineer and have worked in the electronics field all my life. I started as an electronics test engineer and morphed through sales and contracts to marketing communications (PR and advertising). Although retired I still write press releases for electronic components on a freelance basis.

I have built my own amplifier and speakers in the past and I have repaired just about any kind of audio equipment that you could mention, although I'm not the quickest or most intelligent of repairmen; a 'dogged' approach usually gets me there in the end! BTW, I don't do repairs as any form of job, just for myself on my own kit. As a musician I have also used recording studios many times and had my own 4-track home studio.

I tend to have fads on the different aspects of vintage audio, my present thing being large, powerful hifi receivers from the late 70s.

I'm John.

Hi Steve

A very warm welcome to you, sounds like you'll fit right in here with that list of interests and kit.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

I'm Rob.

Hi Steve, "an electronics engineer"......brilliant, just the sort guy we like. As to vintage I think a lot us here could be called vintage I have been "into" all things hifi since I was 11 years old. Look forward to seeing you posting here.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Steve,

A very warm welcome to AoS!

Aside from the fact that we love quality vintage gear, your background and experience in the field of audio sounds fascinating, so please stick around and impart on us your valuable knowledge.

In that respect, I look forward to reading your input and contributions to the various discussions on the forum.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Hello Steve. Welcome to AOS.

Your interest seems to parallel that of many of us here. Vintage gear is very popular.

There's plenty going on here and I'm sure your input will be useful. So get involved and have a chat with members.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alan.

Hi Steve, a big welcome from a fellow EE.

I like the 'dogged' approach to repairs, I also like to accept any challenge to repair kit, the more different designs the merrier.

Join in, it's a lively forum.

I'm Steve.

Thanks guys, how nice to receive those lovely welcome messages, thank you!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

No problem, Steve. Just reward us by sticking around and offering your erudite contributions!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagesteve View Post
    I'm from Staffordshire in the UK. I've been into many different aspects of audio, vintage audio and video since 1977. These include vintage radio (30s - 60s), vintage TV (up to the early 50s), vintage video (all formats), vintage hifi (from valves to solid state) and 60s portable radios including large high spec ones. I use a 'normal' high quality, solid state set up for my every day listening; Quad 44/405, Sony tuner, Garrard 401/SME/Ortofon MC, Revox A77, Tandberg 440A cassette, Tannoy XT 6F speakers.

I'm a qualified electronics engineer and have worked in the electronics field all my life. I started as an electronics test engineer and morphed through sales and contracts to marketing communications (PR and advertising). Although retired I still write press releases for electronic components on a freelance basis.

I have built my own amplifier and speakers in the past and I have repaired just about any kind of audio equipment that you could mention, although I'm not the quickest or most intelligent of repairmen; a 'dogged' approach usually gets me there in the end! BTW, I don't do repairs as any form of job, just for myself on my own kit. As a musician I have also used recording studios many times and had my own 4-track home studio.

I tend to have fads on the different aspects of vintage audio, my present thing being large, powerful hifi receivers from the late 70s.
    Hi Steve,

You'll be familiar with the Pioneer SX 1980 then I assume ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_SX-1980

I've seen one in the flesh and with the hood off, what a thing !
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Hi Steve,

You'll be familiar with the Pioneer SX 1980 then I assume ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_SX-1980

I've seen one in the flesh and with the hood off, what a thing !
    I too have seen one in the flesh, someone was recapping one. Saying that, 'afficionados' say (debate?) that the SX-1250 is/was the high water mark when it comes to overall sound quality, looks, build quality, screening, general performance etc etc. Saying that, if someone was to offer me a 1980 - or even the smaller 1280 - tomorrow, I'm sure my ears would prick up!

BTW, you seem to have a nice set up there with that Sansui AU-919. That was Sansui's 'best amp' wasn't it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast