+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greetings from Canada

I'm Svend.

Default Greetings from Canada

Hello All!

I've been browsing this forum for some time now, reading mostly about Heybrook turntables and other UK audio gear. You see, I've just bought a used Heybrook TT2 and it's going to be a bit of a project to get it singing again. Further on the UK-made gear theme, I also recently bought a used Sugden C-28 and P-28 pre-/power amp pair, which may also need some rejuvenation. You can see I like the British sound, eh? So what better place to get advice on all this than right here?

There is clearly a wealth of knowledge in this community, and very friendly and helpful people with no shortage of good humour. I'm sure I shall enjoy it, and hopefully will be able to contribute some of my own knowledge and experience back to the group.

Some background on my systems....

Main system consists of: modded Teac VRDS-10 cd player (Tent Labs clock, discrete op-amps, recapped, upgraded PS); Sony ST-J88B FM tuner; modded Sony TA-E86B preamp (tweaked to work as a passive device), Belles Soloist OCM-200 power amp, Esper Signals 808 speakers. The Heybrook will form the new (vintage ) analogue front end in this system, and I must say I can't wait to get it running.

I am also slowly putting together a second system for the basement rec room, which will be: the Sugden C-28/P-28 separates mentioned above; and Esper Signals 601 speakers. Not yet purchased are the source components: for the analogue source, another turntable (thinking of the new Rega P3, or maybe a vintage Japanese DD deck...we'll see...); and PC-based audio for the digital source (no DAC purchased yet, and no clue what to buy as yet).

All of the existing gear, except the Heybrook, we've had for over 20 years, and nothing has been upgraded or modded until just the past year.... The usual story - buy a house, have kids, start a small business...not much time for the audio gear hobby other than just enjoying the music. But now there's more time, and I'm back in the hunt for better sound.

Musical tastes run the gamut from classic and modern rock, indie, jazz (a lot!), classical (orchestral, baroque), with a smattering of opera every now and then. We have several hundred CDs, and an equal number of LPs, with more vinyl coming regularly.

I'm looking forward to chatting with you all, and sharing the development of my systems.
    Thanks, and regards,
    Svend

I'm Grant.

Welcome Svend. Nice Intro and hope you enjoy it here. Plenty folk will I am sure help if they can
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

Hi Svend and welcome

Yes, that was a great intro post!

It would be really good if you would start a thread in the Gallery section about your system(s).
    I am particularly intrigued by the speakers you mentioned - Esper Signals 808 - never 'eard of them and the internet seems to be devoid of info about them!

I'm Phil.

and good to see a belles amp. they are great vfm and had a few
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Svend.

Thanks guys, for the welcoming words.

Jerry -- I will post a thread in the gallery soon, as you suggest. I am travelling on work for the next couple of weeks, so won't get to taking photos for a while. As for Esper Signals, sadly they are no longer operating. They were a small company out of Ottawa, and sold mostly in Canada during the early '90s...well before the age of Google. The former owner and designer, Peter Sutcliffe, is a brilliant engineer and all around great guy. I will post some pics of the 601's and 808's that we have. Wonderful sounding speakers. I may still have an audio mag review of the 601's at home - if you're interested I can scan it for you. Peter still dabbles in audio design, mostly for his own use. I think his latest speaker prototype is an open baffle type that he is pretty stoked about. I have yet to hear it, but hope to soon.

Hifinutt -- yes, the Belles is an excellent amp. When we were auditioning components back in the day (20+ years ago), tube amps weren't a thing and almost all the other solid state amps that we heard had a grainy, closed-in and hard edged sound to them...the exception being the British stuff (Naim and Sugden being two that stand out in my mind), but they were pretty pricey at the time. When we heard the Belles we knew we had a winner - very fluid, open sounding, very musical, not the least bit harsh or grainy, but with great drive and punch. We will definitely not be selling that one. Love it!

Cheers,
    Svend

I'm Geoff.

Hello Svend. Welcome to AOS.

Good turntable the TT2 and rightfully popular. The designer is one of our members.

You'll find plenty going on here, so get involved and chat with folk.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hello Svend. Welcome to AOS.

Good turntable the TT2 and rightfully popular. The designer is one of our members.

You'll find plenty going on here, so get involved and chat with folk.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    Thanks Geoff. I didn't realize the Heybrook designer was part of this group. I've definitely come to the right place then! Presently the deck is in the capable hands of the former Canadian importers of Heybrook, Audio One in Toronto, getting the power supply fixed and the suspension tuned. So they know these machines well, and were delighted when I walked through the door carrying one. They have a real fondness for the Heybrook.

Cheers,
    Svend

+ Reply to Thread