+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stylus pics - keep or return for refund

I'm Geoff.

Then you've got the break-in period for the Tannoy cones. You'll be thinking 'will it ever end?'.

It drove me potty waiting for my new ZYX R100 02 H MC to break in. Took near 40 hours of playing!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Then you've got the break-in period for the Tannoy cones. You'll be thinking 'will it ever end?'.

It drove me potty waiting for my new ZYX R100 02 H MC to break in. Took near 40 hours of playing!
    Lol, I'll enjoy that bit though, a 100 hours listening, pah manage that in a day

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Thanks for the comments, I'll deal with this Cartridge refund and once my Tannoys are back from recone it'll be a serious rejig of system to get it how I want.

Been a frustrating journey and I'm not done yet, but I started out wrong with it all and now I'm paying the price.
    Started out wrong? What do you mean?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

New speaker driver and new cone break-in.

It's not just a loosening up of the cone suspension, as many think, there's more to it.

When a cone is new it has or should have consistency through the structure of the cone, some will be made with stiffened areas to the centre or cone material varying in thickness from centre to outer edge.

As the speaker is driven, the cone material will flex and ripple. These effects are 'break-up patterns' and this flexes and stretches the cone material and will gradually establish areas within the cone material where the break-up will always occur.

It's a bit like bending a piece of card. Once done, the card will always be more willing to bend again at the same point.

This is why (in my view) it is always preferable to fit new surrounds to old, nicely broken in cones, rather than install whole new cone/surround assemblies.

It can take months or even years for a cone to 'come right'! It's well known that some speakers develop a more pleasant sound as they age. I recall this being very true with old Goodmans and Wharfedale speakers with felted pulp cones.

Last edited by walpurgis; 18-10-2017 at 10:49.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Still, they will still sound pretty good, or no-one would ever buy them new
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm jamie.

Oh for F**K sake, big reply just accidentally deleted, must admit this has just about finished me for vinyl, can't even be bothered retyping my reply I'm so fed up with it.

PS: this is a reflection on the cartridge and vinyl in general NOT the people who posted help
    are you talking about the cartridge i bid on as well?
    dont give up mike,remember i threw the towel in with the c4e,id sold my 2m black as well so i couldn't even go back to what i knew was good,it all turned out great for me in the end so dont make rash decisions.
    if you stick with the decca,send it off for a check over,maybe a re tip?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    are you talking about the cartridge i bid on as well?
    dont give up mike,remember i threw the towel in with the c4e,id sold my 2m black as well so i couldn't even go back to what i knew was good,it all turned out great for me in the end so dont make rash decisions.
    if you stick with the decca,send it off for a check over,maybe a re tip?
    Hi Jamie,

Yeah same one, the seller has already started the refund process, they've been great with no hassles at all. So I'll get my money back, he's going to get it checked/repaired if it needs it and get back to me in case I want it again.

I've emailed John Wright about the Decca as it gives low output on 2 different stages so I think that's faulty too, nae luck eh, it's been like that since I received it so I should have had that checked immediately too, it just never occurred to be that it was faulty though I just thought it was a mismatch between the Vivant stage and Ali's Slagle that I was using as a pre at the time.

It was serviced on 2014 but according to the seller it had little use since then, but I know how fragile they can be so maybe Royal Mail killed it.

I'll get there eventually.

Mind you, our living room is going to get a complete revamp with the TV being repositioned and I'm getting a dedicated listening room ( currently home cinema room which joins onto the living room ) with approval from The Boss to replace the saggy 2 seater settee in there with 2 stressless recliners or similar anyway, so it's not ALL bad news

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Started out wrong? What do you mean?

I meant speakers first then add from there, I just bought everything randomly and arse for elbow

Bigman80 Guest

I meant speakers first then add from there, I just bought everything randomly and arse for elbow
    Oh I see lol, well, it's all about synergy and it'll come together for you. Has for me.

That slagle is now permanent in my system. No worries about its performance at all. The Vivant shouldn't be causing you an issue either as it's just been modded hasn't it! Defo a cart issue. Shame that but it'll come good.

I'm Grant.

Default Stylus pics - keep or return for refund

Could be a mismatch. Had that once
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast