+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wanted hadcock or mayware tonearm.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I wouldn't swop an Alphason for a Hadcock or Mayware.
    neither would i dave
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Having given it a bit of thought, I can't think of any unipivot arm I'd want.

Apart from maybe the original Decca International, with the metal headshell and long pillar with opposing magnets in. I had one many years ago (when they were still being made) and liked it. I didn't think much of the later ones without the magnetic levitation and the nasty 'Connoisseur' plastic headshell with the spirit level in it.
    yes i know the model,ive been having a play with the tracking weight today briefly, ive gone from the recomended 1.8 to 1.9 and it sounds better to my ears,will have more time after work tomorrow for more listening tests.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Having given it a bit of thought, I can't think of any unipivot arm I'd want.

Apart from maybe the original Decca International, with the metal headshell and long pillar with opposing magnets in. I had one many years ago (when they were still being made) and liked it. I didn't think much of the later ones without the magnetic levitation and the nasty 'Connoisseur' plastic headshell with the spirit level in it.
    The Decca (London) International, with the spirit level headshell, used opposing magnets but was as you say a poor little thing: badly made and somewhat clunky. The only Decca arms worth considering are IMO the original 'Professional' and the later 'ffss' (upgraded to Super level and fitted with bias compensation), neither of which are unipivot designs.

One left-field consideration might be the Audio & Design (later known as the Keith Monks) M9BA unipivot design. However it uses four small arcuate mercury pools as part of the signal connection, so is somewhat suspect when it comes to health and safety. It was available with an extra heavy counterweight for use with the Decca Mk. IV.

When Jimmy Hughes reviewed the Mk. IV in Hi-Fi Answers, he used it in a Linn Ittok arm on a Linn Sondeck. A strange combination IMO, and he had problems with hum; no doubt caused by the three-wire connection used by Decca.

The Decca/Hadcock was almost de rigeur in the late '80s, but that was using the Mk. V and later versions which are lighter than the Mk. IV.

If you are getting good results using the Decca in the Alphason arm, then I see no reason why you should look elesewhere.
    Barry

I'm Bikram.

I have Decca London international tonearm and i really like it. The base is very good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12