+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Tom's Schiit Modi Multibit DAC (£250) Versus Justin's Lampizator Big 7 (£6K)

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by serendipitydawg View Post
    " Laptop->HDMI->Samsung TV optical out->Lampi or Schiit optical in. "

Justin; have you ruled out the possibility that the TV may be re-sampling the digital signal.

My TV (not a Samsung btw) does. Just a thought
    Totally.

I hardly listen to anything but 44.1KHz stuff via TIDAL these days, so it doesn't really matter.

The distance from my laptop to the DAC is more than 5 metres, more than the USB spec. TBH that still works and it probably should sound better than the method I use. However, in practise the via the TV link never fails or glitches unless TIDAL servers fail to deliver. I have less trouble with it than the USB link.

Occasionally I get the USB lead out for high bit rate stuff but it never lasts long.

I'm Grant.

you tried a repeater cable. been using one for a while now and no problems
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Talking of names, and nerd factor, have you seen the 30 minute ShitFerBrains Yggdasil construction video?

https://youtu.be/R3YZmaIRb6Q

I think this DAC looks promising. Why? Because it uses decent caps (I really like ELNAs for the money from previous experience of them - I'd stuffed 16 of them in the Bill Beard BB100 I had driving Tom's Tannoys). You could also stuff a couple of seriously good Tesla E88CC cross swords in it. Do that and I reckon it would be fab.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F272222244135

The description leaves a worrying brain imprint, though. Get over that and you might be on a winner. Then again it could suck. £300 to find out. More after import charges.
    They have a European website with distribution- so no import duty - I ordered some rca cables at £20 or so. I find them excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by Colinijohnson View Post
    They have a European website with distribution- so no import duty - I ordered some rca cables at £20 or so. I find them excellent

I think they do a return if not delighted policy if I recall as have been tempted by their products previously

I'm Geoff.

I heard a Lampi 7 at a bakeoff when I took a Bryston DAC I used to own. The general consensus was the the Lampizator was a poor product, in sound and build compared to the Bryston. I no longer own the latter but I believe that the Lampi can be improved upon significantly.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    I heard a Lampi 7 at a bakeoff when I took a Bryston DAC I used to own. The general consensus was the the Lampizator was a poor product, in sound and build compared to the Bryston. I no longer own the latter but I believe that the Lampi can be improved upon significantly.
    Technically even a Schiit Modi does it. That isn't what the DAC is about IMHO. It is about exploration and adventures in triode/valve distortion.

If you don't realise that you are missing half a cog. The same is true of a lot of valve based products in my opinion - whether from Kondo, Audio Note etc etc.

It is a fair comment but depending on your angle and priorities anything can be regarded as a poor product.

Outside of this forum there is a mass of respect for Lampis - far more than you will find for Bryston DACs.

I'm Geoff.

Technically even a Schiit Modi does it. That isn't what the DAC is about IMHO. It is about exploration and adventures in triode/valve distortion.

If you don't realise that you are missing half a cog. The same is true of a lot of valve based products in my opinion - whether from Kondo, Audio Note etc etc.

It is a fair comment but depending on your angle and priorities anything can be regarded as a poor product.

Outside of this forum there is a mass of respect for Lampis - far more than you will find for Bryston DACs.

I no longer have the Bryston so I have no axe to grind. I have no desire to simply defend a product that I own and I have no interest in introducing distortion either, at least not deliberately.

If you enjoy the Lampizator products then that is all that counts. I am simply telling my experience of what I felt was a poor product costing a large sum.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    I no longer have the Bryston so I have no axe to grind. I have no desire to simply defend a product that I own and I have no interest in introducing distortion either, at least not deliberately.

If you enjoy the Lampizator products then that is all that counts. I am simply telling my experience of what I felt was a poor product costing a large sum.
    Cool.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    you tried a repeater cable. been using one for a while now and no problems
    No but I was aware of them.

I'm Chris.

Evaluation system is Cayin SC10 (almost) preamp->Austria Analogue 211 monoblocks->Apogee Duetta Interstella loudspeakers. Make no mistake, the system is extremely high resolution, and detecting differences is made very easy by that fact. That however does mean I will hear things that just won't be heard in other situations. Nevertheless...

Pics and thoughts later.
    The Apogee Duetta Interstella loudspeakers are supposed to be incredible! No doubt any small change will be easy to pick out using amazing loudspeakers like that. You are very fortunate. I can hear obvious changes using an old pair of 1976 Magnepan MG-1's, so the Apogee's are likley to be even more of an open window.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast