+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom's Schiit Modi Multibit DAC (£250) Versus Justin's Lampizator Big 7 (£6K)

I'm James.

I am sure you will probably prefer the Lampi at the end of the day but I wonder how it would compare against the mighty Yggdrasil ?

Enjoying your review Justin.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Justin.

The really hard thing to do is to sit here and try and convince myself I am being neutral and unbiased Jim.

Anyway, Sleaford Mods TCR EP. The difference between the two DACs now becomes way more marked in terms of in room believability. Via the Lampi they just sound way more like they are in the room than via the Schiit. What ambience there is in this recording comes across as sounding simply more real.

The Schiit's more recessed mid range detail does it no favours here, and there's a sense that the replay is somehow slightly more mechanical, less natural. It is still very listenable, however, and again no weirdness. There's no odd colourations or anything that sounds suspect or annoying. It is more relaxed and civilised at the expense of sounding quite a bit less real.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    The really hard thing to do is to sit here and try and convince myself I am being neutral and unbiased Jim.

Anyway, Sleaford Mods TCR EP. The difference between the two DACs now becomes way more marked in terms of in room believability. Via the Lampi they just sound way more like they are in the room than via the Schiit. What ambience there is in this recording comes across as sounding simply more real.

The Schiit's more recessed mid range detail does it no favours here, and there's a sense that the replay is somehow slightly more mechanical, less natural. It is still very listenable, however, and again no weirdness. There's no odd colourations or anything that sounds suspect or annoying. It is more relaxed and civilised at the expense of sounding quite a bit less real.
    Maybe a bit of a bargain then considering the price?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Maybe a bit of a bargain then considering the price?
    It is.

Joe 90 by The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. I declare a draw here. Possibly siding with the Schiit on this one. The Lampi's more forward mid did it no favours - the reverse of the previous result.

However, the Lampi has the antidote if required. The more forward highly detailed PX4 mid can be toned down by dumping in a set of Tung Sol 6A3s. Or altered in various other different ways by using a variety of other alternatives.

End of listening session for tonight.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    An Rpi what? in conjunction with what? An Rpi is just a computer...
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38479

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I am sure you will probably prefer the Lampi at the end of the day but I wonder how it would compare against the mighty Yggdrasil ?

Enjoying your review Justin.
    That's one I would really love to line up against my Audio Note.

Justin's conclusions on the Modi Multibit mirror mine though I was far from as methodical about it as Justin has been. I still preferred the Audio Note, the feel was more natural, relaxed, realistic. But what track by track comparison I did to of what they were each actually doing made it a closer run thing. Mad batshit crazy that a little box like this should do so well. I really do like what it does.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    That's one I would really love to line up against my Audio Note.

Justin's conclusions on the Modi Multibit mirror mine though I was far from as methodical about it as Justin has been. I still preferred the Audio Note, the feel was more natural, relaxed, realistic. But what track by track comparison I did to of what they were each actually doing made it a closer run thing. Mad batshit crazy that a little box like this should do so well. I really do like what it does.
    Yeah the Modi does kind of beg the question. It has a fixed sound, though. Can't really be doing with that.

I'm James.

By all accounts the Yggdrasil is very good indeed. Not read a bad review yet and not really that expensive compared to most of the high end DACs out there.

I'm Justin.

Someone send me one LOL

I'm Will.

Ah so you're comparing it to the IQ audio DAC...which is easily bettered by an Audiophonics or Allo alternative for less than £70

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-d...s-p-10657.html

https://www.allo.com/sparky/boss-dac.html
    Cheers, Will

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast