+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Next step for my hifi.....................

I'm Andy.

Default Next step for my hifi.....................

Just got back into my hifi after a couple of years away

Source : Musical Fidelity M1 DAC, 2nd generation model with 24/96 usb, using its usb input from PC, all music ripped as flac, using foobar
    Amplification : Cyrus 7 & Cyrus Q power, bi amping
    Speakers : Wilmslow Audio Classique

I am looking to upgrade the speakers next I think, as although they are good, they dont appear to have the depth and clarity that I am looking for (I previously had a pair of AE109's which offered what I am currently looking for soundwise)

Musical tastes, anything from Tracy Chapman to John Martyn to Muse, not really a classical or jazz fan

I was looking at either Vienna Acoustics BBG, Proac or PMC, all floorstanders

I am not really wanting standmounts, room size isnt massive at 15' x 14'

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

I am looking to buy second hand, which will hopefully open up a few more options, with a budget of around £1200

I'm Phil.

welcome andy

one chap recently swapped his vienna acoustics bb to elite audio , oh my gosh they sold so fast and went back to vienna amazingly . they had another pair but they sold too so they are very popular . actually the gent bought some boenickes

there are shedloads of pmc around but i am not a great fan . proac make some beautiful stuff which seems to vary massively in price . i am using as a stop gap some rather nice studio 125 [300 quid] but they sound like they cost way more than that . they have a delightful midrange and sound really open . i am most impressed , ok the tweeter is not quite as crushingly transparent as some but what an amazing hi fi bargain they are . loads on ebay

the d18 is easily available in your budget at about 950 but the d20r , the ribbon version of it is about 2k . i am not sure if its worth the difference

some folks like the studio proacs more and central audio have a 140 mark 2 sitting there for months , some on ebay are about 1k or more . well worth looking them up

http://www.centralaudio.co.uk/index.php?page=stock

125 here

https://youtu.be/Hp6YZXhREd8

140 here

https://youtu.be/GQEgY0lf9VI
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

if you are ever in the midlands you are most welcome to listen to mine

Eric Bibb

I'm Andy.

Thank you for your reply, the proac's do look rather nice and are probably higher up my list than PMC's, VA BBG are probably still my number 1 choice, however, prices on them seem strong, so I may need to save a bit longer

Thanks for an offer of a listen

I'm Phil.

its a pleasure , if yo see any vabbg just be quick !!!

and check hi fi shark

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=vienna+acoustics

although the pair on there i think are rather more than what elite audio had them at

Eric Bibb

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by hifibuff68 View Post
    Just got back into my hifi after a couple of years away

Source : Musical Fidelity M1 DAC, 2nd generation model with 24/96 usb, using its usb input from PC, all music ripped as flac, using foobar
    Amplification : Cyrus 7 & Cyrus Q power, bi amping
    Speakers : Wilmslow Audio Classique

I am looking to upgrade the speakers next I think, as although they are good, they dont appear to have the depth and clarity that I am looking for (I previously had a pair of AE109's which offered what I am currently looking for soundwise)

Musical tastes, anything from Tracy Chapman to John Martyn to Muse, not really a classical or jazz fan

I was looking at either Vienna Acoustics BBG, Proac or PMC, all floorstanders

I am not really wanting standmounts, room size isnt massive at 15' x 14'

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

I am looking to buy second hand, which will hopefully open up a few more options, with a budget of around £1200
    May I draw your attention to my super duper Usher CP6372’s that I am reluctantly selling at £999?
    RRP when new £2.5k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Richard.

Hi Andy,

You don't say where you are from but if you live within traveling distance from Cardiff you would be welcome to come and have a listen to a pair of IPL S2 tlm Transmission Lines. I believe that these would have the clarity and depth that you require. Granted I am biased because I build them as a hobby but don't take my word for it. Do some research and you will find plenty of good things said about them ( on this forum amongst others!). As far costs are concerned I could build a pair in most veneers for around £1350 which is not too much over your budget. If you are of a practical disposition you could make some yourself and save £500! If you want to go down that route I would be happy to advise you on how to tackle the project.

Richard.

I'm gone.

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.

I'm just a bit confused here (it often happens, it's probably my great age ) but doesn't your statement in the 1st post provides the answer?
    Or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by hifibuff68 View Post
    (I previously had a pair of AE109's which offered what I am currently looking for soundwise)
    Why not buy another pair?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acoustic-E....c100005.m1851

Or do you want something different but with the virtues you enjoyed in the AEs? If so, what extras do you want?

+ Reply to Thread