+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beresford caiman seg revooooow

I'm peter.

Default Beresford caiman seg revooooow

I would like to start this review by getting rid of any doubts or suspicions this dac was not sent to me for the purpose of review but was purchased with my own money and I have no affiliation to Stanley beresford apart from being a good friend on the aos I haven’t even met Stan face to face and if I ever do the drinks are on me and a big breakfast if you’re peckish haa haa. Right that’s that oooot the way now onto the review. Having spoken to Stan earlier on in the week I asked a little bit advice is it much different than my current dac the bushmaster mk 2 and can I still use a battery on the seg blah blah blah and after talking with Stan I put the order in sharp like (no spelks on my backside). Only took a few days to arrive and within 5 minutes I was ready for take off now here’s how she’s hooked up
    Oppo to seg via qed coax
    Rega Apollo to seg via atlas optical
    Sony tv (built in netflix) to seg via belkin optical
    Caiman seg to hegel integrated amp via rca van den hul
    Beyer dynamic dt770pro headphones
    Deben tracer powering the caiman AWESOME BATTERY
    first up was the walking dead blu ray season 7 my first impressions were wow very quiet compared to the older bushmaster2 loads more headroom even after an hour or so the caiman just got better and better then it was onto some good old underworld live now this was the best i have ever heard in a digital system absolutely sublime no overhang on the bass plenty of detail and no digital harsh nasties atal. Next up a few cds through the cd player now i am no expert in describing or analysing sound but all i can say is i thank my sweet lord that i no longer take mind altering substances because there would be no coming back OUCH!!!!
    Simply unreal how you have managed to pull it of Stan its a headscratcher for sure. What stands out for me is a well defined bass especially with headphones this thing just reaches so deep not flabby or resonant just deep and fast,superb mids with no recess, top end awesome cymbals arent splashy just well defined and i know there is a lot more to come off this dac. Now here is the important thing would i recommend this dac bearing in mind just over a couple hundred quid isnt cheap you bet your pink dyed hoopla socks i would what about replacing an older bushmaster dac which is what i did yes there is improvements across the board and a positive upgrade more functions and looks awesome in black. So well done Stanley you have suprised me its way better than i thought possible real high end sound for reasonable money.
    HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
    Thank you mr s beresford
    HEGEL H100 integrated amp
    REGA rp6/exact cart
    REGA Apollo r CD
    NEAT ELITE SE loudspeakers
    BERESFORD bushmaster mk2 dac
    Powered by a DEBEN tracer battery
    Mc5000 klotz ms audio cables(cheers Brian).
    REGA couple 2 ics
    JEZ ARKLESS phono stage
    RUSS ANDREWS powermax mains cables
    ISOTEK POLARIS mains block
    ATLAS Speaker cables
    CREEK OBH21 SE head amp
    BRIANS silver hybrid ics

I'm Grant.

Nice one Peter. Good to hear youve struck lucky again
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adam.

Nice one Clarkey....

I have had my SEG for quite a time now....

I run it through a heavily modified Musical Fidelity X10D Valve buffer:-

http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/thre...ogress?page=15

...what emerges is unbelievable for the money - to say the least !

I keep reading about these Sabre ESS Dacs - are they better than the SEG - well I seriously doubt it.
    Adam.

I'm Andy.

Would you say that Beresford DACs have a "house sound"? I've owned a Caiman which I really didn't take to. Just wondering if it's worth looking at newer models.

I'm peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Would you say that Beresford DACs have a "house sound"? I've owned a Caiman which I really didn't take to. Just wondering if it's worth looking at newer models.
    Hi Andy deffo worth looking at newer models. I was surprised how different the caiman seg is over the bushmaster mk2. As for house sound if anything it’s a cleaner more neutral sound than many dacs I have tried and whilst being very detailed and clear it’s certainly not analytical or matter of fact. I believe Stan has a 30 day try before you buy anyway so nothing to lose on that front. Also a point worth noting is that ime Stan’s dacs work superbly with a battery or a decent psu.
    HEGEL H100 integrated amp
    REGA rp6/exact cart
    REGA Apollo r CD
    NEAT ELITE SE loudspeakers
    BERESFORD bushmaster mk2 dac