+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My first post

I'm Winston.

Default My first post

Hi,

Always been checking in on this great site, from time to time, but just joining.

I'm Winston, and my reason for joining at this particular time is that I have a question about removing only the armtube of my SL1700 (Mk 1) so I'm about to open a new thread on the subject.

Looking forward to learning lots more here regarding these outstanding TTs.

Cheers.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Winston. Welcome to AOS.

I'm sure to will find useful info and opinion on your SL-1700 here.

Tell us what equipment you use in the rest of you system and what music you like.

Please join in the chat, there's plenty going on.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Winston.

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Yes, I’m anxious to find a way to modify that TT’s arm-tube without disturbing or messing up the auto-return gear, as I’m keen on being able to use this facility, occasionally, with better sound-quality than the original arm is able to supply. The arm on these Mk 1 SL 1700s seem dark, dull, and closed-in - 'unlistenable' - IMO, compared to other arms. A test of this TT with a much better arm revealed that this TT is a Linn-killer being held back by the arm (held back similar to my former Thorens/SME, but much more so).

Aside from the Techie SL1700, my main system currently comprises a Thorens-TD125/SAU2/Signet-TK7E, a Lenco 75/AT12S, a Sony PS-1 (as CD-P) Audio-Research LS3 pre-amp, 75 watt UREI 6150 power amp (alternated by a 12-watt Maggie tube amp mentioned below, or by an awesome little 20-watt Pioneer receiver) driving an equalized ‘semi-active’ h-e 2-way DIY speaker-system consisting of Altec 802/811 mid-hi horns and Goodmans 18” midwoofers in large B-R cabs. [Hoping my long-delayed attempts at DIY Schroeder tonearm clones will eventually be adequate for my TTs, surpassing my SAU2 and a formerly used SME and a recently liberated Ittok. A CLD plinth for the 'naked' 75 is another delayed project still to come.] A second system with a laptop, a projector, a Quad FM-2, a 33 pre & 303 amp drives another ‘semi-active’ DIY speaker-system comprising a midwoofer from a Yamaha NS10, two 12s, and a few tweeters, per side. Other gear, including a ReVox A-77 & Pioneer RT-901 R2Rs, a Pioneer Spec-1 pre-amp, a mixer, a Magnavox ex-console 12 wpc tube-amp, and two other turntables (some needing servicing) aren’t currently used in either system, but held in reserve.

I listen to everything, including the Classics, but my everyday favourites include several genre of popular music, with emphasis on Jazz, Blues, Big-Band, Soft-Rock, Reggae, Disco, and R&B, especially from the ‘50s to the ‘70s. As mentioned, music from other genre and other eras are also appreciated, as long as it sounds good.

Fascinating to see the things being done to the great SL1200 and other TTs here. Looking forward to learning more.

Thanks again.
    Winston.
    Last edited by curry49; 16-10-2017 at 13:19. Reason: addition

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by curry49 View Post
    equalized ‘semi-active’ h-e 2-way DIY speaker-system consisting of Altec 802/811 mid-hi horns and Goodmans 18” midwoofers in large B-R cabs. .

That sounds like it is a bit special. Welcome to AoS, Winston.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Winston.

Hi Martin,

Naw! Nothing special, really.

Perhaps an unfortunate choice of words. In fact, I don’t doubt that most audiophiles would advocate burning at the stake as punishment for some of the liberties I’ve taken and for some of the ‘cast-in-concrete’ audiophile-rules I’ve broken with my systems.

For instance, I use an equalizer in the main rig (a cardinal audiophile sin) mainly to ensure that my mid-hi horns broach the highest frequencies without having to deviate from the system’s alleged two-way ‘purity’ by having to add super-tweeters for the highest trebles.

The idea of using an EQ was also partially to compensate for the fact that the mid-woofing 18s are run without xovers, but it was found that no compensation is really necessary here, as the natural roll-off of the woofers blend perfectly with the horns.

My term; ‘semi-active’ refers to this fact (i.e the ‘active’ xover-less operation of the mid-woofers) combined with the use of a xover (a simple cap limiting lo-frequencies) on the mid-hi horns. Hence the term; ‘semi-active’ since one amp ‘actively drives the xover-less mid-woofers, while the same amp also drives the xovered horns; all combining to imply that the system is not 'fully active' in the purest sense of the term. Hence; “semi-active.”

H-E refers to the system’s high-efficiency, of course, somewhere in the vicinity of 98 db/w/m, which contributes to something approaching lifelike dynamism. Even severely limited F-M radio seems dynamic. This extreme level of dynamism, combined with the renown realistic tone of the drivers and the sharp clarity, transient-response, and accuracy contributed by the lack of inductors on the mid-woofers (dulled and diminished every time a full and fully-passive xover is tested) all contribute to the most realistic reproduction I’ve ever experienced in-home – not to mention the room-shattering bass from two 18s (the approximate equivalent of four 15s, or eight 12" woofers).

As to whether it satisfies all audiophile goals to the Nth degree, I really don’t care much – I just know that this system seems very much more realistic to me than my Spendor BC-1 system did, decades ago, with Quad electronics and Thorens-125/3009II/V15III.

Thanks for the interest, and for the welcome. (Must learn to be more concise in my replies, though ).

Nice gear there, btw.

Cheers,
    Winston

I'm Martin.

I like the concept Winston. No need for any type of crossover, digital or analogue. I don't think a single capacitor really counts. I'm hoping to put together something along those lines myself in the coming year.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Welcome winston. Great to have you here. Always good to have another non conformist
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Winston.

Thanks for the welcome, Grant.

Non-conformist? Never thought of that exact term..., but that I am.

Martin, you mentioned; "I'm hoping to put together something along those lines myself in the coming year."

Welcome to the non-conformists' club. Step in any time you're ready. Grant and I'll hold the door open for you. Ha, ha!

Cheers,
    Winston.

+ Reply to Thread