+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New speakers?

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I have to mention that I am about to sell a pair of ADAM Tensor Gammas.
    They have opened my (eyes) ears so much that I am going to upgrade, they are so bloody good that I am going to Berlin next week to buy the Betas.
    Are these active or passive? In the classifieds?

Cheers,

Steve.

I'm Stephen.

That looks great Grant. I have briefly used a soldering iron many years ago. Do you think it would be easy enough for novice to attempt?

Cheers, Steve.
    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/x10v3mods.htm

if you can solder its an easy enough mod to do yourself.

I'm Grant.

an iron and a desoldering sucker and a pair of side snips and a hex key and screwdriver I think is all you need. Just make sure the electrolytics(pos down) and diodes are in right way.(should be marked) took about 1/2hr. I put some better feet on mine as well.
    if your nervous you could get it done for you tho.
    He does better russian valves too but also need soldering
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    hi Jerry,

Thanks for your comments.
    I know where you're coming from re the Karan amp although I do run an MF X10 V3 between the CD and the amp which brings much life to the sound with that little bit of valve magic. I also run a separate balanced connection between the two which works well depending upon the type of music.
    I've had various valve amps over the years and on the whole I am a big fan of the sound but it has come with varying degrees of aggravation including two which decided to all but self destruct! The other issue is that many top quality speakers require a bit more grip than most valve amps can supply.

I have seen a pair of Art Deco 10's which will be efficient and I might be tempted to go back down the valve route if I take the plunge with them. Out of interest what are your favourite amps Jerry?

Cheers, Steve.
    Hi Steve

Actually, I'm not particularly in favour of valves or solid state, just that I rate the Karan as a poor amp musically (regardless of cost).
    A "good" valve or ss will easily beat it in terms of musical enjoyment as far as I am concerned.
    -- I should mention that the Karan owner is ecstatic with it!

From recent experience I know that a good buffer can work wonders with some components, so it may well be the the MF unit is doing the biz in your system.
    ..... but I would still be tempted to try alternative amps!

My favourite amps?
    -- I currently use a Wadia "PowerDAC" with excellent results.
    I also have a Pass Labs X150, although I have to confess that I am considering selling that!

Amps from my past that I rate highly ....
    ss -
    Parasound Halo A21 - magnficent dynamic sweep, if ultimately (after 18 months of familiarity) just a little polite.
    Krell KAV250a - a power house, rather forward in sound, but hugely in control and huge amounts of fun.
    Philips 380 - vintage virtuosity

valve -
    Icon MC368 BSE - KT90 valve amp. Sounds like an awesome solid state amp!
    Graaf 5050. A long time ago now, so memory fades, but I really enjoyed it.
    CR Developments Romulus - 6L6 midrange magic.
    Viva 300p - 2x 300B per channel. Sublime.

Loads of others have passed through, but those come immediately to mind.

I'm Dennis.

They're fully active Steve, mine not yet in classifieds because there is always the possibility that for some reason the deal does not work out, condition etc.

I am going to Berlin on Thur next, and it is costing towards £1K to do, but I am 80-90% sure I will purchase, and sure as hell these will be my last speakers.

I'm Stephen.

Any idea how much you're likely to be asking for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    They're fully active Steve, mine not yet in classifieds because there is always the possibility that for some reason the deal does not work out, condition etc.

I am going to Berlin on Thur next, and it is costing towards £1K to do, but I am 80-90% sure I will purchase, and sure as hell these will be my last speakers.

I'm Richard.

Hi Stephen, with regards to speakers I have these for sale

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3323902157...84.m1555.l2648

I've messaged you too, let me know if they hold any interest for you. Cheers

I'm Dennis.

Yes Stephen, £4k outside, £3.5k to anyone on here.
    Last edited by Pharos; 14-10-2017 at 14:23. Reason: Clarity, not selling for £3.50 to you guys

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny nocash View Post
    Hi Stephen, with regards to speakers I have these for sale

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3323902157...84.m1555.l2648

I've messaged you too, let me know if they hold any interest for you. Cheers
    these are very special speakers
    https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/112230-verity-audio/

they were used for some time in a room similar to yours 17x13 and worked well . they are very detailed with zero fatigue
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    Any idea how much you're likely to be asking for them?
    You have pm.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12