+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New speakers?

I'm Stephen.

Default New speakers?

Hi all,

I'm looking into changing my Kudos Cardea C30 speakers for some Sonus Fabers, possibly Cremona floorstanders. I'm after a slightly 'fuller' sound but I don't want to sacrifice much in the way of detail or airiness. (I appreciate these are all subjective terms). I would consider other makes and models and I've had quite a few speakers over the years including; Proacs, Audio Physic Virgo 3's, Dali Helicon 800's and Art Audio Emotion monitors.
    I've seen a pair of Art Deco 10 signatures up for sale but I think these would works best with SET valve amps.

My current gear:

dCS Classic stack.. Delius, Verdi and Purcell.
    Karan KA i180 integrated,(with a musical fidelity x10 V3 on the non-balanced line in).
    Sony DAB tuner
    Kudos Cardea C30 floorstanders.

My loungs is approximately 17' x16' with 9' ceilings. So not small but not huge.

Any comments on experience with Sonus Faber speakers or other makes that might be suitable would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Steve.

I'm gone.

Hi Steve

Nice high end system!
    I've never heard your Kudos speakers, but having browsed a couple of reviews I have to confess that I would be looking elsewhere in your system for the next upgrade.
    Based on my own experience of hearing a friend's system before and after a Karan 180 integrated amp was introduced, I'd be at least seriously considering moving that on rather than the speakers.
    The Karan improved a lot of the 'hifi' aspects of that system's performance, but it went a long way to smothering the dynamic life and freedom of the sound. For me it killed the interest in the music.
    Change that is my unasked for advice!

Just my 2p worth.

I'm Grant.

Hi and welcome Steve. Nice sounding system
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Stephen.

hi Jerry,

Thanks for your comments.
    I know where you're coming from re the Karan amp although I do run an MF X10 V3 between the CD and the amp which brings much life to the sound with that little bit of valve magic. I also run a separate balanced connection between the two which works well depending upon the type of music.
    I've had various valve amps over the years and on the whole I am a big fan of the sound but it has come with varying degrees of aggravation including two which decided to all but self destruct! The other issue is that many top quality speakers require a bit more grip than most valve amps can supply.

I have seen a pair of Art Deco 10's which will be efficient and I might be tempted to go back down the valve route if I take the plunge with them. Out of interest what are your favourite amps Jerry?

Cheers, Steve.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Hi and welcome Steve. Nice sounding system

Thanks Grant.
    Best,
    Steve.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    hi Jerry,

Thanks for your comments.
    I know where you're coming from re the Karan amp although I do run an MF X10 V3 between the CD and the amp which brings much life to the sound with that little bit of valve magic. I also run a separate balanced connection between the two which works well depending upon the type of music.
    I've had various valve amps over the years and on the whole I am a big fan of the sound but it has come with varying degrees of aggravation including two which decided to all but self destruct! The other issue is that many top quality speakers require a bit more grip than most valve amps can supply.

I have seen a pair of Art Deco 10's which will be efficient and I might be tempted to go back down the valve route if I take the plunge with them. Out of interest what are your favourite amps Jerry?

Cheers, Steve.
    If youve not already done it, the Rock Grotto mod for the buffer is worthwhile
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dennis.

I have to mention that I am about to sell a pair of ADAM Tensor Gammas.
    They have opened my (eyes) ears so much that I am going to upgrade, they are so bloody good that I am going to Berlin next week to buy the Betas.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I have to mention that I am about to sell a pair of ADAM Tensor Gammas.
    They have opened my (eyes) ears so much that I am going to upgrade, they are so bloody good that I am going to Berlin next week to buy the Betas.
    fab speakers
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    If youve not already done it, the Rock Grotto mod for the buffer is worthwhile
    Yes, I've vaguely heard of that. Any links?
    Cheers,
    Steve.

I'm Grant.

http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/x10v3mods.htm

if you can solder its an easy enough mod to do yourself.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast