+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESL57, banishing the sweet spot

I'm Alan.

Default ESL57, banishing the sweet spot

Something I have thought about for a long time, adding a wide dispersion tweeter to the ESL57.
    The sweet spot really is narrow for the top registers, so if you are not sat in the sweet spot the treble can seem a fair bit down in level.

So I've finally got around to it and sourced some HiVi RT1C-A Planar Isodynamic tweeters. They are 5 ohms so I have padded them out to 8 ohms, the drop in efficiency is welcome as the tweeters are well in excess of the '57s sensitivity. They are installed on top of the '57s as shown:

[IMG][/IMG]

I've ordered some variable L pads to control the level which haven't arrived yet, so the sound is a tad bright (understatement)

I crossed them in at about 5KHz, they augment the '57s treble rather than replacing it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Has it banished the sweet spot? Totally annihilated it
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Geoff.

Ah. Nice one Alan!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

I have never had an issue with dispersion from ESL57, there is no sweet spot, just
    equal wide gorgeous stereo sound.

I'm Justin.

I remember a pair at Scalford with a ribbon tweeter on top. Not sure what frequency it cut in at, but that was just bizarre. As you walked between the speakers you'd move in and out of multiple HF hotspots.

Put it this way Alan, they sounded far less even than your pair did at the Midlands do as you moved around.

I'm Jez.

They do indeed have a very narrow sweet spot... Nothing else comes close in my experience. I can't see this not causing colouration etc though personally... When in the sweet spot you will be hearing the full correct amount of treble from the ESL's plus the treble from the tweeter I would have thought...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Alan.

Your thinking is of course right Jez, however when not in the sweet spot I think the compromise is a better one.

I've always wanted a little extra treble from the stats anyway, now I have the L pads fitted I can dial it in to whatever level I want

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Your thinking is of course right Jez, however when not in the sweet spot I think the compromise is a better one.

I've always wanted a little extra treble from the stats anyway, now I have the L pads fitted I can dial it in to whatever level I want
    Fairy snuff... I'd put an on-off switch in as well though!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Alan.

The L pads go from zero to max (straight through) so no problem.

I have been turning the level down as I have been listening to get a good compromise.

I'm Geoff.

How are you finding the treble quality with the HiVi units Alan? It should be good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alan.

Excellent actually Geoff, I'm glad I chose them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast