+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it me or is Hi-Fi getting even more over priced ?

I'm gone.

Hmm.
    My best ever and most expensive by far hifi purchase was a brand new item (well, two items, a pair of speakers) from a dealer after hearing the product at a show.
    It worked for me.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    It will certainly have a lot of character judging by these specs:

Distortion: 0.6%
    Signal to noise ratio:90dB (A standard)
    That will be the 3 x china tubes they use on the pre stage. Replace them with something else and those figures will drop. Most tube gear has poor distortion results tbh. I think they do an all soild state version using fets so that would be better.
    David.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I try to avoid buying anything that has been made in China. It's not easy: most kitchen goods (kettles, food mixers, microwaves, toasters etc.) all seem to be made in China. Even power tools by previously well-regarded manufacturers such as Bosch, Makita, etc. now bare the legend "Made in PRC"!
    I have had some really good hifi kit made in china. It's not all junk but you need to do your research before hand. Also many well known brands are made in the same factory with similar design specs as the china equivalent with its odd to us looking name.
    David.

I'm Geoff.

I'm wondering when the ultra expensive market will start charging in guineas?

Geoff

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I'm wondering when the ultra expensive market will start charging in guineas?

Geoff
    still used for rams and horses the guinea. a real guinea is worth a fair amount now though in £...although not legal tender.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    It will certainly have a lot of character judging by these specs:

Distortion: 0.6%
    Signal to noise ratio:90dB (A standard)
    The specs I found said distortion was 0.06% and the signal-to-noise ratio is >90dB.

I'm Peter.

Just picked up a copy of HiFi News, and the reviews this month are:

Metronome cd player+dac £72,000 total
    Pass Labs integrated amp £11,500
    Naim Uniti network music system £4100
    Technics turntable £1300
    Dynaudio stand-mount speakers £4300
    Matrix dac £1700
    Koetsu cartridge £8000
    Spendor speakers £2200
    1More headphones £210
    Pro-Ject amps £1300

Last time I looked at HiFi Plus, there wasn't anything reviewed at less than four grand.

So, to answer the OP ... Yes!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Just picked up a copy of HiFi News, and the reviews this month are:

Metronome cd player+dac £72,000 total
    Pass Labs integrated amp £11,500
    Naim Uniti network music system £4100
    Technics turntable £1300
    Dynaudio stand-mount speakers £4300
    Matrix dac £1700
    Koetsu cartridge £8000
    Spendor speakers £2200
    1More headphones £210
    Pro-Ject amps £1300

Last time I looked at HiFi Plus, there wasn't anything reviewed at less than four grand.

So, to answer the OP ... Yes!
    This is why I do not buy hifi magazines. I would be very surprised if their circulation was more than a couple of thousand and I would guess that the number of those readers able and willing to spend more than £10,000 on a whole hifi system let alone a single component is rather small. These magazines are more likely to lead to dissatisfaction with one's system rather than to audio nirvana. I'm sure they are responsible for much of the box shifting that takes place with punters making sideways substitutions rather than genuine improvements. Even publications such as What Hifi seem obsessed with reviewing products that very few of its readers will ever be able to afford!

Geoff

I'm Grant.

Dentists and Doctors probably. they can afford it and it makes them look successful
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Dentists and Doctors probably. they can afford it and it makes them look successful
    My mate in Bavaria (an academic) used to maintain that only two kinds of people in Germany bought Porsches: pimps and dentists.

Though I suspect even a successful pimp might baulk at a £72,000 CD player - that's oligarch territory.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast