+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it me or is Hi-Fi getting even more over priced ?

I'm David.

Default Is it me or is Hi-Fi getting even more over priced ?

I think this might be the engineer in me but these days when I walk past Audio-T and look at the prices of some Hi-Fi kit I do a double take. If the price is 'reasonable' the quality and finish seems very lacking compared to hi-fi of past generations on closer examination.

Example... I have been looking at this bit of electronics

https://goo.gl/images/kT6Y25

which is a shear monster of a build in terms of materials, finish and electronics both analogue and digital if you see it in the flesh, cost £1800 at the most from a high street music store. Then I compare to stuff like the Chord Dave dac at £8500 from audio-t high street which looks pretty but I would find hard to believe it has had more technical design input and certainly has less materials and construction effort. Ok the Chord is an extreme example maybe but then look at most Hi-Fi in the same price range to other markets and its usually the same.

This trend kind of reminds me of apple and the latest iPhone nonsense. Some might find this funny.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75gwlQlMLbk

Is it really me ? Sign of getting old ?
    David.

I'm Grant.

Default Is it me or is Hi-Fi getting even more over priced ?

Quite a few good products from the Chinese market although many are poor. People have probs with it but they used to have probs with Skoda
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Quite a few good products from the Chinese market although many are poor. People have probs with it but they used to have probs with Skoda
    Yes, there are a few gems on ebay even in kit form which seems great prices. Also some of the hi-end amp like BADA etc look good value until you factor in the shipping and duty costs.
    David.

I'm Neil.

I do struggle at times to see how some items cost what they cost.
    Regards Neil

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I do struggle at times to see how some items cost what they cost.
    It's not about costing what they cost: it's about market segmentation by vendors by differentiating products to extract the maximum amount from a distinct demographic! In other words, it's possible to charge prices unrelated to production costs or performance because some people are willing to pay a premium for goods that differentiate themselves as consumers. Vanity purchases or conspicuous consumption!

Check out the work of Thorstein Veblen; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorstein_Veblen

Geoff

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    It's not about costing what they cost: it's about market segmentation by vendors by differentiating products to extract the maximum amount from a distinct demographic! In other words, it's possible to charge prices unrelated to production costs or performance because some people are willing to pay a premium for goods that differentiate themselves as consumers. Vanity purchases or conspicuous consumption!

Check out the work of Thorstein Veblen; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorstein_Veblen

Geoff
    I am aware of that.
    Regards Neil

I'm Geoff.

What I should have added is that I believe that the growth of the super expensive hifi market is the result of increasing inequalities in income and wealth. Twenty five years ago there were just too few consumers able to spend the equivalent of a luxury car on a music system.

Geoff

I'm Dennis.

The psychology of vanity is the largest growth area in my opinion.

Look at the fleet of new very similar SUVs which have appeared on the market over the last year, all very similar in appearance, vying for purchase, and probably never to be used for their intended design purpose.

They will however allow the buyer to feel superior and smug when viewed in public.

I'm Geoff.

I don't think that vanity or vanity purchases are new. Indeed, in class ridden Britain there is a long history of the middle classes aping the consumption patterns of the upper classes, only for the working classes to ape the behaviours and practices of the middle classes. I think what is new is for a significant number of consumers to have such huge disposable incomes that they are able to differentiate their superior wealth so markedly. I would guess that in the 70s and 80s, exotic foreign holidays were the way of keeping ahead of the Joneses. "Chelsea tractors" do seem to have an appeal in some circles. In some audiophile circles the modern equivalent seems to be to spend the equivalent on a hifi on what it would cost to buy a small house "up north".

Geoff

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    In some audiophile circles the modern equivalent seems to be to spend the equivalent on a hifi on what it would cost to buy a small house "up north".

Geoff
    That reminded me of something my late Friend used to say. I am not paying more than I bought my house for even if it was 20 years ago. I think many products sell us an idea or image. Look at the Vinyl craze atm. Many are buying even though they don't have a TT and record companies plus artists know this so cash in and we get inflated prices.
    David.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast