+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Is it me or is Hi-Fi getting even more over priced ?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Perhaps but I doubt it. Print media is dying a slow death now anyway. Maybe 20 years ago. In fact Hi Fi World was a lot like how you describe for the first few years. Then they started chasing ratings.
    I was just about to mention HFW. That was *exactly* what a magazine for genuine enthusiasts looked like. Unfortunately, they were eventually forced to sell their soul to the devil... I take your point about printed media, and agree, but I think it could still work if the content was designed to appeal to a UK audience.

Specifically, those with an interest in the type of hi-fi topics discussed on all the main forums, especially if the vintage hi-fi scene, together with a DIY element, were properly catered for, along with regular articles on reader's systems and a good letters/advice column.

The latter is the 'heartbeat' of any successful hi-fi magazine [the removal of which was one of the main reasons for their current decline], which doesn't cater simply for folk who like ogling at pictures of equipment they'll never be able to afford!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I was just about to mention HFW. That was *exactly* what a magazine for genuine enthusiasts looked like. Unfortunately, they were eventually forced to sell their soul to the devil...

I take your point about printed media, and agree, but I think it could still work if the content was designed to appeal to a UK audience.

Specifically, those with an interest in the type of hi-fi topics discussed on all the main forums, especially if the vintage hi-fi scene, together with a DIY element, were properly catered for, along with regular articles on reader's systems and a good letters/advice column.

The latter is the 'heartbeat' of any successful hi-fi magazine, which doesn't cater simply for folk who like ogling at pictures of equipment they'll never be able to afford!

Marco.
    I think that ship has sailed now. I stopped buying mags regularly when I discovered hi fi forums. stopped altogether about 4 years ago. Why write a letter when you can post your query on a forum and get a ton of advice in hours? And unlike a print mag it is fully interactive and easily searched for ay topic you want. No ploughing through hundreds of back issues to find the info you need.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Oh I know - you don't need to convince me or sell me the idea that printed mags are on their way out.

The point is, if they can currently be made to 'work', catering for the superficial whims of badge-fi fetishists, then IMO, they can be made to 'work', to a similar degree, catering for the interests of the genuine enthusiasts out there, and an audience that makes up the membership of the likes of here and pfm.... Like I said, it would need to be UK-focussed.

If it was done right, those folks would have just as much reason to read such a magazine, as they would the content of said forums. And let's not forget that some people still like holding and reading something 'tangible', just like they do playing records, as opposed to streaming files - or a proper book, as opposed to a Kindle

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

We could just print pages off the forum and sell them as a magazine...not sure what the difference would be except that some of the photography work here, and on other forums, is better than in the mags.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

And let's not forget that some people still like holding and reading something 'tangible', just like they do playing records, as opposed to streaming files - or a proper book, as opposed to a Kindle

Marco.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    We could just print pages off the forum and sell them as a magazine..
    Great idea! And you said you weren't an entrepreneur!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

The idea of an AOS magazine had crossed my mind too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gone.

You guys!

Hehehe... I prefer the idea of an AoS calendar, actually. No doubt that Geoff will want to be 'Mr January'!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm gone.

My thoughts on the over-priced hifi debate ...

Well, yes & no.

Sure the top end of the market has gone stratospheric.
    But the bottom end of the market has burgeoned, too.

There is genuinely excellent sounding kit out there in the low £hundreds (new price, not used - and electronics, mainly, speakers are more of a challenge, but headphones for sure) that wouldn't have been dreamed of as possible just 10 or 15 years ago.
    You need to look at the whole picture not just at what irritates you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast