+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it me or is Hi-Fi getting even more over priced ?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    During WWII arms manufacturers and black marketeers did very well. During any recession, there are also winners as well as losers. I would guess there are enough of the former to keep the super expensive hi-fi market ticking over! How, many Chinese and Russian billionaires are there now?

Geoff
    That's not "the population at large" though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    That's not "the population at large" though.
    That's the point: the super expensive hi-fi market is not targeted at the population at large.

It thrives because there is a small group of consumers with the desire and the means to differentiate themselves from the "plebs"! My contention is that this market has greatly increased in recent decades!

Geoff

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I do struggle at times to see how some items cost what they cost.
    I have to agree. This has been awarded a "Best Buy" at £4995. Personally, looking at the internal photo etc I can't see anything like that value in this product, although I do like the looks and feature count.

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardwa...ated-amplifier

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    I have to agree. This has been awarded a "Best Buy" at £4995. Personally, looking at the internal photo etc I can't see anything like that value in this product, although I do like the looks and feature count.

Seems a bargain compared to the £13,600 needed for the speakers it was designed to work with!

Geoff

I'm Martin.

Of your £5K 20% is VAT, that's a grand right away, of the remaining £4K about £2K is dealer and distributor margin, and assuming a standard 10-1 ratio of cost to sale, the parts to build it cost the maker £200 tops.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

And another 200 for the case.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Of your £5K 20% is VAT, that's a grand right away, of the remaining £4K about £2K is dealer and distributor margin, and assuming a standard 10-1 ratio of cost to sale, the parts to build it cost the maker £200 tops.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    And another 200 for the case.
    Yep. The case is almost certainly the most expensive single component.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Good point, never thought of £1K VAT.

I'm Martin.

Good point, never thought of £1K VAT.
    Nuts, isn't it? If they wanted to market an amp that was actually impressive in terms of specification how much would they have to charge for that at retail once you take everything into account? Probably twice as much.

Now if they did not have to take care of the dealer, the distributer and HMRC, how much cheaper would it be for exactly the same item? Too many people wetting their beaks.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast