+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Is it me or is Hi-Fi getting even more over priced ?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    My thoughts on the over-priced hifi debate ...

Well, yes & no.

Sure the top end of the market has gone stratospheric.
    But the bottom end of the market has burgeoned, too.

There is genuinely excellent sounding kit out there in the low £hundreds (new price, not used - and electronics, mainly, speakers are more of a challenge, but headphones for sure) that wouldn't have been dreamed of as possible just 10 or 15 years ago.
    You need to look at the whole picture not just at what irritates you.
    I have no real opinion on whether this is good or bad although I am guess that some of the technology that is developed for these stratospheric products filters down to real world products. My interest is in the factors that have facilitated the growth in this market, not least the creation of a significant cohort of ultra rich as a result of widening inequalities in income and wealth. I would argue that this cohort was too small in past decades to support an industry where some hifi systems cost as much as a small house!

Geoff

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I My interest is in the factors that have facilitated the growth in this market, not least the creation of a significant cohort of ultra rich as a result of widening inequalities in income and wealth.
    I keep hearing and reading about this increasing wealth gap but is there any evidence to support it? Or is it just one of those things people repeat because it sounds right to them?

In the past 20 years we have had Russia, China and the far east countries like Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia all develop significantly in wealth terms. That alone would surely account for a sizeable new market for high end hi-fi that didn't previously exist, especially when you consider that attitudes to wealth and conspicuous consumption are different in those cultures. People there are impressed by it, they are not thinking 'Flash git' when they see acres of bling and ludicrous price tags.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

There has been £mega kit for decades - Jadis, Dynaudio and many others have always had offerings that are out of reach to most folk.
    As Martin says, the £mega market has expanded as more regions of the world have gained in wealth, creating the inevitable top earning strata of million/billionaires.
    You can attach your own ethical/political agenda to it if you want.

I'm Dave.

I've always done 'high end', right back to the late 70s. Speakers at £18K, amps at £10-20K, CD players at £6-25K we often sold but now the bar has been raised with amps at £250K, speakers at £750K etc. Way out of reach for me and my customers but it does sell in small quantities to those who don't need to ask the price.

Often, these products are not worth anything like the money. The price covers lunatic build and bling, which does nothing for the performance but makes the product look expensive for those who like to show off.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Just picked up a copy of HiFi News, and the reviews this month are:

Metronome cd player+dac £72,000 total
    Pass Labs integrated amp £11,500
    Naim Uniti network music system £4100
    Technics turntable £1300
    Dynaudio stand-mount speakers £4300
    Matrix dac £1700
    Koetsu cartridge £8000
    Spendor speakers £2200
    1More headphones £210
    Pro-Ject amps £1300

Last time I looked at HiFi Plus, there wasn't anything reviewed at less than four grand.

So, to answer the OP ... Yes!
    HiFi News may like to state that they only review suitable high quality kit, but I am personally getting tired of the same old same old distributors portfolio getting dipped into, as if nothing else out there is 'high quality'.

Last two months of + I haven't bought as there isn't enough of interest in them for me. Regarding pricing of review kit, I think + has become less ultra high end than it was, but sadly for me its become more boring - it used to be more interesting in its early days. I used to look forward to it back in those days.
    Regards Neil

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hehehe... I prefer the idea of an AoS calendar, actually. No doubt that Geoff will want to be 'Mr January'!

Marco.
    Lets just hope its not a Full Monty style one for all our sakes !!
    David.

I'm Paul.

It’s not just hifi, hi-end anything is getting more and more obscene, but when your customers have more money than some countries, and expensive=better then you just charge what you want and make it look the part.
    SBT/Chromecast/TEAC T1 into TEAC D-T1 DAC or olde-worlde Rega Planar 2 controlled by Rotel RC850 into HH S500D or DACT Passive Pre into Mullard 5-20 monos. Then into Tannoy Cheviots and a Wharfdale sub. All connected by colourful cables.

I'm Anto.

I just wish my cows milk was 'high end' and I could charge what I want
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    I just wish my cows milk was 'high end' and I could charge what I want
    stuff i buy is twice the price of ordinary milk. microfoams better and lasts longer I ight add milk is badly underpriced for farmers
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Default Is it me or is Hi-Fi getting even more over priced ?

Bring back gold top milk as a standard.

Harder to find now, but so yummy.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast