+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cantilever 'haze'

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    How's it going with the Decca now you've had time to 'acclimatise' Jamie?
    Still over the moon! It has improved since I first put it on. Bloody lovely
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Not everyone has such a positive story to tell. I've tried a couple of times now and given up both times trying to get a sound I could live with. That's not a myth that's fact. And I think I do know a thing or two about cartridge setup.
    Agreed. Much of the negative impressions reported by users is due to the sloppy workmanship and quality control exercised by Decca at the time. I have had three samples of the Decca 'Blue': one is fantastic (and kept), the second adequate (also kept), the third was poor (and is long gone).
    Barry

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes the 'hinge', fulcrum or pivot point is much better defined, but the reduction of "cantilever haze" is due to the movement of the stylus being sensed as close to the stylus as possible, hence the use of a very short cantilever. This method was called "direct scanning" by Decca. The albeit short cantilever of the design is actually damped close to the pivot point.
    Does Decca also have a break-in time?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Kai.

There's also been some MC cartridges mounting the coils directly above the stylus, like the new Audio-Technica ART-1000. It's not a first, I think there was a similar older design from the 80s, but can't remember who made it. In that type there's a rather traditional cantilever, but stylus movement is "sensed" right at the tip instead of at the other end of the cantilever.

https://eu.audio-technica.com/AT-ART1000

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I think a prototype MC cartridge using similar ideas was made for Roland Research, but never went into production.

Would love to hear the Audio Technika ART-1000, but at £4,500 that's not going to be anytime soon!
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123