+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Phonomac AT-1010 Tonearm review

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Never heard one.....I'll have a look
    AT 25th anniversary model. Titanium block, boron cantilever, twin transformers, fineline stylus. The best I have heard . 800 at the time.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; SME IV; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek integrated amplifier; SBT; Technics sh-x1000 DAC; Yamaha NS1000M.
    System 2 - SBT; Denon PMA850 integrated; JBL 4312B control monitors.
    System 3 - Taken over by my son! Chromecast; Beresford Caiman II; Klark Teknik Jade 1 active studio monitors.

I'm Al.

Hi chaps,

I'd been in the market for a mid mass, well designed tonearm to fill a gap in my audio armoury for a while. I'd considered the usual suspects, SME, Audiomods, Audiocraft, and a fair few others (without the option to listen unfortunately) and finally bit the bullet and bagged a NOS, boxed AT-1010. It arrived over the weekend.

It's not up and running just yet, but on first impression handling it I'm impressed. Let's hope it tickles my ears soon

Pics to follow

1.jpg5.jpg4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg
    Last edited by Synergist; 15-01-2018 at 19:35.
    My better half says we should plan for the next 5 years. I remind her that I never know what I'll be doing in the next 5 minutes.

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Synergist View Post
    Hi chaps,

I'd been in the market for a mid mass, well designed tonearm to fill a gap in my audio armoury for a while. I'd considered the usual suspects, SME, Audiomods, Audiocraft, and a fair few others (without the option to listen unfortunately) and finally bit the bullet and bagged a NOS, boxed AT-1010. It arrived over the weekend.

It's not up and running just yet, but on first impression handling it I'm impressed. Let's hope it tickles my ears soon

Pics to follow
    Wow, great find!!

It's a lovely arm too. If you want to unlock it's true potential, give Phonomac a shout and let him work his magic. If you want to compare the Standard arm to the modded arm, you are welcome to bring it down to sunny Wolverhampton

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > Decca Gold > Jolida JD9 MKII (Telefunken Valves) & Wizard MM Valve Phonostage (Telsa Valves)> Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves) > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

I'm Al.

Wow, great find!!

It's a lovely arm too. If you want to unlock it's true potential, give Phonomac a shout and let him work his magic. If you want to compare the Standard arm to the modded arm, you are welcome to bring it down to sunny Wolverhampton

Thanks Oliver,

Reading your review of the Angus modded arm has me tempted although It's a new toy for now so I'll get to grips with it and listen to it stock for a wee while. I've a few hours checking it out now and I'm suitably impressed thus far. It looks like the AT boffins set out to design a no compromise, well engineered top line arm here. There's some well implemented features and a raft of neat little touches.

A few things I like so far :
    Top notch build. Reassuringly solid. It screams quality.
    Low slung counterweight with it's axis directly inline with stylus tip.
    Floating CW stub with adjustable damping using the Fo dial.

This feels like it's gonna be a real pleasure to use
    My better half says we should plan for the next 5 years. I remind her that I never know what I'll be doing in the next 5 minutes.

I'm Oliver.

Thanks Oliver,

Reading your review of the Angus modded arm has me tempted although It's a new toy for now so I'll get to grips with it and listen to it stock for a wee while. I've a few hours checking it out now and I'm suitably impressed thus far. It looks like the AT boffins set out to design a no compromise, well engineered top line arm here. There's some well implemented features and a raft of neat little touches.

A few things I like so far :
    Top notch build. Reassuringly solid. It screams quality.
    Low slung counterweight with it's axis directly inline with stylus tip.
    Floating CW stub with adjustable damping using the Fo dial.

This feels like it's gonna be a real pleasure to use
    You should definitely listen to it in its stock form so when you have it modded you can fully appreciate it's improvements.

You're welcome anytime to have a listen to mine.

O

Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > Decca Gold > Jolida JD9 MKII (Telefunken Valves) & Wizard MM Valve Phonostage (Telsa Valves)> Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves) > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

I'm Al.

Cool

That's a kind offer Oliver. If I get that far South I'll give you a nudge ;-)

Lovely quality and well designed magnesium headshell. Silver leads and nicely damped with an unknown rubber(?) Should keep unwanted nasty vibes at bay.

Setup was a breeze with this clever little device. Perfect to get the geometry spot on. It doubles as a cartridge setup tool to get the overhang pinpoint accurate. It's graduated in mm on the reverse.

Kudos to AT for some really nice touches here. Adjustable azimuth on the headshell collar. They've gone to great lengths to make setup straightforward yet highly adjustable for those of us obsessed with accuracy. Nice bias implementation for different stylus profiles and a highly adjustable lateral balance should it be needed. I like the little slope off on the arm rest rubber where the arm comes to rest. The arm lift is smooth and nicely damped. The headshell socket grips like a vice. Reminds me of the collet chuck on my lathe. Quality fit and feel all round. No compromises as far as I can see. Great attention to detail. The arm rest is plastic but feels tough and the arm snaps in nice and snug. The lock is a nice feature for extra safety.

So far it's a breeze to use. More tomorrow with some listening impressions to share.
    As the 80's soul classic goes "Let the music play"

I'm Oliver.

That's a kind offer Oliver. If I get that far South I'll give you a nudge ;-)

Lovely quality and well designed magnesium headshell. Silver leads and nicely damped with an unknown rubber(?) Should keep unwanted nasty vibes at bay.

Setup was a breeze with this clever little device. Perfect to get the geometry spot on. It doubles as a cartridge setup tool to get the overhang pinpoint accurate. It's graduated in mm on the reverse.

Kudos to AT for some really nice touches here. Adjustable azimuth on the headshell collar. They've gone to great lengths to make setup straightforward yet highly adjustable for those of us obsessed with accuracy. Nice bias implementation for different stylus profiles and a highly adjustable lateral balance should it be needed. I like the little slope off on the arm rest rubber where the arm comes to rest. The arm lift is smooth and nicely damped. The headshell socket grips like a vice. Reminds me of the collet chuck on my lathe. Quality fit and feel all round. No compromises as far as I can see. Great attention to detail. The arm rest is plastic but feels tough and the arm snaps in nice and snug. The lock is a nice feature for extra safety.

So far it's a breeze to use. More tomorrow with some listening impressions to share.
    As the 80's soul classic goes "Let the music play"
    Spot on there, love that setup tool!!

It's a beautiful arm, I'm a big fan. Looks good with your Decca

I'm Al.

Spot on there, love that setup tool!!

It's a beautiful arm, I'm a big fan. Looks good with your Decca

True. The tool is cool !! :-)

Saved a lot of time and fiddling and it was reassuring that the mounting distance was spot on when fixing the mounting collar. All fits into place perfectly when using the AT shells that have the pre-threaded holes. Just fix your cart, snap the shell into the tool, view from below, align to the 50mm mark and hey presto, perfect geometry. Lovely design. I messed around with too many fussy arms in my time. Like I said great work by AT. Looking forward to spinning a few tomorrow

I'm Oliver.

A visit from Phonomac today with his new PMAT-1010 MKV !!

An upgrade again on the most recent version. More to follow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234