+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Phonomac AT-1010 Tonearm review

I'm James.

Sounds like a great tonearm for the Decca. What is the damping mechanism on this arm?

I'm Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Sounds like a great tonearm for the Decca. What is the damping mechanism on this arm?
    There's no damping as such other than the magnesium/rubber composite headshell and the adjustable force on the floating counterweight stub (fo damping as AT describe it)

The fo adds pressure to the stub via a rubber pad. Fully tightened the stub is rigid. All the way lose it has some play and the stub has room to move. I guess it plays a small part in damping and I can't honestly say it's made a huge difference until I experiment. Many argue that a Decca needs damping at the headshell, bearing or pivot first and foremost. I've had and used both methods with all my Decca's. I've found that the London Decca's in pods or bodies are less fussy and work well in many arms. Tonearm mass, quality and design plays a bigger part in my experience. The Decca FFSS arms and carts have no conceivable damping and work very well together.
    My better half says we should plan for the next 5 years. I remind her that I never know what I'll be doing in the next 5 minutes.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Synergist View Post
    There's no damping as such other than the magnesium/rubber composite headshell and the adjustable force on the floating counterweight stub (fo damping as AT describe it)

The fo adds pressure to the stub via a rubber pad. Fully tightened the stub is rigid. All the way lose it has some play and the stub has room to move. I guess it plays a small part in damping and I can't honestly say it's made a huge difference until I experiment. Many argue that a Decca needs damping at the headshell, bearing or pivot first and foremost. I've had and used both methods with all my Decca's. I've found that the London Decca's in pods or bodies are less fussy and work well in many arms. Tonearm mass, quality and design plays a bigger part in my experience. The Decca FFSS arms and carts have no conceivable damping and work very well together.
    I think the Decca does indeed work better in a pod and generally likes some decent mass in the tonearm. My unipivot is internally damped and worked ok with my Decca Blue but not ideal. Compliance was a bit of a mismatch and I did get a bit of mistracking although this was probably down to not enough VTF.

I have heard Oliver's Phonomac AT1010 on his SP10 , very impressive set up.

I'm Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I think the Decca does indeed work better in a pod and generally likes some decent mass in the tonearm. My unipivot is internally damped and worked ok with my Decca Blue but not ideal. Compliance was a bit of a mismatch and I did get a bit of mistracking although this was probably down to not enough VTF.

I have heard Oliver's Phonomac AT1010 on his SP10 , very impressive set up.
    I forgot to add that my London Decca is also internally damped by John Wright when he rebuilt it. That removes most of the limitations of the original design and firms up the whole sound as a result, especially in a pod.

I've had the Blue, Maroon and an Export Grey and all have been used in uni-pivots (I have the Decca Magnetic Uni-pivot) and silicone & oil damped arms. Just my experience but podding and damping at the cart end of things is better than damping later down the signal path. Why put unwanted resonances into the headshell/tonearm ? With a little thought and JW's modding they are all unique and hard to beat for realism and dynamics.

So far in the stock AT arm it's a real treat to listen to, as is the Denon 103. Happy days.
    My better half says we should plan for the next 5 years. I remind her that I never know what I'll be doing in the next 5 minutes.

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Synergist View Post
    I forgot to add that my London Decca is also internally damped by John Wright when he rebuilt it. That removes most of the limitations of the original design and firms up the whole sound as a result, especially in a pod.

I've had the Blue, Maroon and an Export Grey and all have been used in uni-pivots (I have the Decca Magnetic Uni-pivot) and silicone & oil damped arms. Just my experience but podding and damping at the cart end of things is better than damping later down the signal path. Why put unwanted resonances into the headshell/tonearm ? With a little thought and JW's modding they are all unique and hard to beat for realism and dynamics.

So far in the stock AT arm it's a real treat to listen to, as is the Denon 103. Happy days.
    😊
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Wizard Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Firebottle modded Xiang Sheng DAC (Telefunken Valve)
    Amplification: Slagle AVC Passive Preamp & Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves)
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables Throughout
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

I'm Oliver.

Well, the inevitable has happened. Phonomac has now taken deposits for the sale of his last remaining AT-1010's!!!!

If you want one, you're gonna have to find your own arm!!!!
    Analogue: Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > Ortofon Kontrapunkt b > Wizard Jfet MC Valve Phonostage (Telefunken Valves)
    Digital: Firebottle modded Xiang Sheng DAC (Telefunken Valve)
    Amplification: Slagle AVC Passive Preamp & Firebottle Monoblocks (Telefunken Valves)
    Cables: Fisual S-Flex Speaker Cable & SPOTFIRE IC Cables Throughout
    Speakers: Pioneer CS-77A

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345