+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 1175 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667751151655651065 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm Ian.

I've reached a point with my hifi where I'm very happy with the way it performs, the vinyl section is hardly the last word in sophistication and the digital stuff is fairly basic. The amp does the job nicely and I'm really happy with the speakers. Others might well pick holes it, and that's fine, that's what makes it interesting. So I should be happy right?.......wrong!!!. Just when I'm happy to leave it alone for a while one of the rather rare MS Signifer bass drivers started to play up, slight distortion but very evident during quiet parts in music. I've tried to old trick of moving the cone slightly beyond it's normal amount of travel to release any debris that might have gotten into the coil and fingers crossed it seems to have worked. The trouble is I'm now paranoid about something failing altogether and not being able to repair or replace it due to the relative rarity of the Signifers. Perhaps we hifi lovers as a breed are destined to always be seeking that next ' perfect ' piece of kit.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Geoff.

It's more likely that you've corrected a bit of cone sag than cleared debris from the coil gap. Try rotating the drivers 180 degrees to compensate.

Anyway, shouldn't this be in 'Blank Canvas'?

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It's more likely that you've corrected a bit of cone sag than cleared debris from the coil gap. Try rotating the drivers 180 degrees to compensate.

Anyway, shouldn't this be in 'Blank Canvas'?
    I just thought it was an observation on the hifi bug.

I think you're right about the cone sag, old 12" drivers being prime candidates. If the problem returns that will be my next move
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Geoff.

Trying to do a bit of tiling. Can't find any of my glass cutters......Bugger!

Ordered a new diamond one. Should be here in a day or two. I'll try and scribe the tiles with a small masonry bit for now.

Yes. I do it the old fashioned way. No fancy tile cutting gizmo's here!

I'm Steve.

This weekend I'm taking part in the "Twelve Peaks Walk", where I'm sponsored to walk between the peaks of the new Toblerone bar. It's quite a distance and will be arduous, but I do get to eat the peaks as I pass them

I'm Geoff.

Rather you than me. Have fun.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Sounds like hard work to me...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Trying to do a bit of tiling. Can't find any of my glass cutters......Bugger!

Ordered a new diamond one. Should be here in a day or two. I'll try and scribe the tiles with a small masonry bit for now.

Yes. I do it the old fashioned way. No fancy tile cutting gizmo's here!
    Yep - that's what I use: a tungsten carbide scriber and a pair of tile pliers. For more intricate tile fitting, I might use a tile drill and a circular cross section 'rasp' hacksaw blade; but it's laborious and not always successful.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Yes. I picked up a Tungsten tipped scriber to tide me over until the diamond glass cutter arrives. Bit of a cheek charging a fiver for a tool that probably has a bulk unit cost of 10 pence imported from China.

Small and more elaborate cuts, I can do with my Dremel type tools, using various diamond bits and blades.

I'm Martin.

I have 3 days off work and I intend to make the most of them by doing absolutely jack shit.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread