+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 1177 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869771171675671067 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm Steve.

A man after my own heart, though if everyone thought like you, my work schedule would pretty sparse!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    There are plenty of people who are able to do the work themselves, but pay someone else to do it anyway. We call these customers 'pain in the arse'
    Really? Unless they are constantly looking over your shoulder and telling you how the work should be done - they are customers, so be grateful of the custom. Or are you overloaded with custom?
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Really? Unless they are constantly looking over your shoulder and telling you how the work should be done - they are customers, so be grateful of the custom. Or are you overloaded with custom?
    I don't know. I'm the sort who will always get someone in. I already have a job and that pays for someone else to do a job I can't or won't do. 'The Economy' in action. But I have had a few tradesmen thanks me for not looking over their shoulder while they are doing the work. I mean why would you? You have hired them to do the job, you have already committed. Only worry about it if it goes wrong. If you picked your man right, it almost certainly won't.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I have had a few tradesmen thanks me for not looking over their shoulder while they are doing the work. I mean why would you?
    Because although some are OK, some are not. I've seen and put right some right old bodges. I don't make a point of keeping a close eye on folk who do work for me, but I do check what's done.

After many years of overseeing work done by contractors serving local authorities. I know how standards vary.

I'm Martin.

Well of course you check what is done. But I am very picky about who I will hire, and I've never had a problem. Except for finding someone reliable to do it in the first place.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

When I called some customers pain in the arse, it was rather a sweeping statement. I did mean the watchers, who look over your shoulder and generally get under your feet. I always work to a good standard, and if a job is beyond my abilities, I don't 'wing it', but recommend someone else. By being 'the man who can, or know someone who can', I do ok for work, mostly repeat customers or recommendations.

Gaining someone's trust has always been a priority. It doesn't matter whether you're able to do the job, if you can't be trusted, you're no use to anyone.
    There are plenty of Yosser Hughes about (Gis a job, I can do that, I can lay bricks), funny on TV, not so much if they're in your house

I'm Geoff.

Just eating a bag of Walkers Marmite crisps. Really like those!

I'm Steve.

Marmite? I'd rather eat the bag and leave the crisps! I was given Marmite once as a kid, and I can still remember that taste

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I was given Marmite once as a kid, and I can still remember that taste
    Yup. Delicious!

I'm Martin.

I bought a pack of Guinness crisps. They were disgusting. And expensive.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread