+ Reply to Thread
Page 128 of 1173 FirstFirst ... 28781181261271281291301381782286281128 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 11725

Thread: Tell Me Something............Anything!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    When I was in construction, I worked at a few country clubs. And I learned there are two types, the ones who are actually rich, and those who want you to think they are rich!

Those who are actually rich, they are rather nice people, who don’t mind paying you for fixing things, and treat you with some common decency.

Those who want you to think they are Rich, they are snobs, who treat you like the help and are rude and self righteous. And expect everyone to do them something for free.
    Spot on, Russell. It's usually why in the houses of the aristocracy, the staff are very well treated and don't have a bad word to say about their employers. There's nothing worse than snobby 'aspirational' types, trying to be something they're not, nor ever will be.

In that respect, there are also marked differences in behaviour between 'old money' types and the nouveau riche.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    The 'really rich' have nothing to prove, whereas the 'nearly rich' are often truly awful to be around. They aspire to be rich, and looking down on the rest of us is an inexpensive way of elevating their financial status.
    Exactly so, which is why they don't have to project an image. Essentially, they're comfortable 'in their own skin', whereas the wannabes aren't; they constantly need to 'prove' to others that they're rich. Quite simply, if you have to try that hard to LOOK rich, then you aren't, or indeed anything even approaching it

I have one customer in his late fifties, who sold his engineering firm a few years ago and he and his partner walked away with about £60 million each. But each morning he came out to greet us, make us a brew and have a quick chat before taking his dog out.
    Indeed. We always make a point of looking after any tradesman who call. Not least because they tend to do a better job that way (!) but because it's simple manners. When the Virgin guys called recently to install our new broadband and TV services, I made them all cappuccinos and gave them some really nice chocolate biscuits, which they appreciated. They said the coffee was better than they get at Costa!

It's just nice to be nice, and if you were brought up properly, you don't look down upon anyone who may be considered as your 'inferior'; you respect them as human beings, and after all, everyone has a job to do. The fact is, the country would soon grind to a halt if there were no bin men, regardless of what the 'suits' were doing in their offices!

And earlier this year we fitted a kitchen for someone who lives in an apartment in Lytham. We were told that the old kitchen cannot be stacked outside ready for removal, but must go straight in the van. It seems that no one wants anyone to see the state of the old kitchen, lest they be judged. Also a previous workman accidentally left a handsaw leaning on one of the big planters in the gardens, and it was brought up at the next residents' association meeting!
    Lol, that's hilarious, and also totally pathetic. I've known folk like that; busybodies with nothing else better to do with themselves. They're just saddos desperately trying to conceal their deep-rooted inadequacies. A bit like the effects of 'small man syndrome'...

Oh, and I'd rather die than live anywhere where there exists such meetings!

Nothing wrong with aspirations, but comparing yourself to others looks like a certain path to misery.
    Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with having aspirations, in moderation, as long as they're realistic and it doesn't take over your life.

The problem these days is folk want WAY too much (material possessions) because they think they're 'entitled' to it, whether they can actually afford it or not. Unfortunately, we live in a very materialistic, image obsessed society - and it's getting worse all the time, especially now with social media. It's the old 'keeping up with the Joneses' gone crazy...

Gone are the days when folk were happier with simpler lives - and I'd contend that true happiness now is a rare and somewhat precious commodity, as it's been eroded by the stress of having to 'live up to expectations' and the demands of modern life. That's one of the reasons why I divorce myself from that pish as much as possible!

Learn to be happy in your own skin, and be grateful for what you've got, not jealous of what others may appear to have more of than you. is my motto.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've never bought a chair, couch or stool of any description ever in my life. And I've only bought any type of drinking receptacle once. 6 French Crystal glasses that were on knock down in TK Max and were going to be an Xmas present for someone but I decided to keep them. I've broken two of them now.

I've never bought a plate of any type, either. I've bought cutlery only once but I lost all the forks. A girl at work had loads and brought me in two replacements so that was sorted.
    I bought a set of crockery at Woolworths when I moved to a bedsit in That London. Forty years later, all that remains is one dinner plate, and all four bowls (though one is badly chipped). I bought a set of cutlery round the same time; still have all four knives and forks, but two dessert spoons have gone. Obviously crockery goes more quickly than cutlery with small children around.

I'm Grant.

still got a set of plates etc that were my mums, bar a bowl i think. must be a good age.. also got stuff that was my grans and great gran that i still use. we pass stuff down; good stuff shouldnt be dumped just because its out of fashion.
    fashion is fleeting, but quality lasts.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I'm in the process of getting rid of anything that is not going to be used. The wife has (nice enough) crocks that have been in boxes for over thirty years. What's the point?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm in the process of getting rid of anything that is not going to be used. The wife has (nice enough) crocks that have been in boxes for over thirty years. What's the point?
    ive a load of stuff in boxes too.. really needs to find new homes. didnt like dumping it when i broke up mums house. also have a few things in house from there. hell, still wading through the wife's stuff after nearly 4 years. must bite the bullet....
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I purchased a nice set of cutlery probably 30 years ago when I had my first house and I still have it, however the teaspoons have all but gone, I reckon I must have thrown them out over time...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I still have and use all the crockery and cutlery bought forty years ago. Most of the cooking utensils as well, but not the cooker ware, as that was replaced and upgraded several years ago.

My TV is nearly thirty eight years old - time I bought a new one!
    Barry

I'm Grant.

still got my old gas cooker.....doesnt work but ive still got it
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes, I'm still using my gas cooker which is also forty years old. Could do with replacing it as it is not the easiest design to keep clean, and the electronic ignition failed a long time ago. But it still works, so until we completely redo the kitchen there is no real point in changing it.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread