+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The polarity conundrum

I'm Neil.

Default The polarity conundrum

Paul McGowan writes:

I am going to stick my neck out and make you a wager. I’ll bet that if I crept into your home one night and swapped +/- on each of your speakers that you’d not notice the difference.

Yet, in the heat of the moment during a listening session you’d hear the swap immediately—even if you didn’t know what it was I was doing.

In fact, I know this to be true because I’ve done both experiments.

What might we conclude from this observation? That long-term polarity swaps are meaningless, yet short-term ones are noticeable? And, if that is so, why?
    Continues @ http://www.hifianswers.com/2017/10/t...ity-conundrum/
    HI-FI & MUSIC e-zine– an INDEPENDENT digital magazine, focusing on 2-channel equipment and wonderful music!

I'm Grant.

Depends on music and system for me. sometimes I cant tell flicking a switch. think the quad 33/303 were set up for statics and need to be used in what looks like out of phase with normal speakers.
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, DEEZER HiFi - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED AND FILTERED.

I'm Martin.

Doesn't it depend on the phase of the recording? And if it is a multi track recording are all the tracks in the same phase? I tried it when I had a Linn LK1 which you ae supposed to reverse absolute phase with. I thought, possibly imagined since it was very slight, that it sounded worse, so I swapped back. I think you would need a very simple, but very good recording to notice the difference myself.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Sony X505ES CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / NVA A30 Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I tried all those experiments a couple of years ago and wrote about it somewhere here (can't find the thread at the moment). I tried switching phase whilst the music was playing as well as listening to music uninterrupted with the phase or polarity set one way, then reversing the phase and repeating the same track.

Can't say I noticed any real difference - but I later discovered the overall polarity of my system was wrong because the power amplifier I was using was phase inverting! Still it gave me one less thing to worry about.

As Martin says, with multi microphone techniques, it is unlikely that all the micropone feeds will be in phase, let alone of the correct absolute polarity. Doesn't stop out American audiophile friends worrying about it, even to the point of marking on the record sleeves the 'correct' polarity setting.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm Geoff.

I'd notice if you swapped the polarity on just one speaker!
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'd notice if you swapped the polarity on just one speaker!
    So would most people (or at least audio enthusiasts should). However some may have the left and right-hand channels transposed. I once accompanied a friend to a demonstration at a well known audio dealer, who was most surprised when I told him he had the channels swapped - the violins are usually on the left. Clearly he wasn't a frequent concert goer!

Barry

I'm Geoff.

On the rare occasion that I've inadvertently got the channels the wrong way round (usually with interconnects), I've always noticed, even if I didn't put my finger on what was not quite right immediately.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    So would most people (or at least audio enthusiasts should). However some may have the left and right-hand channels transposed. I once accompanied a friend to a demonstration at a well known audio dealer, who was most surprised when I told him he had the channels swapped - the violins are usually on the left. Clearly he wasn't a frequent concert goer!
    I pointed this out to the demo-meister in one of the grander rooms at Munich this year. I wasn't believed. Plonkers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Speakers - 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys with custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Preamp - EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII with Ikeda IT345-CR1 and Ortofon 309 Limited tonearms; Cartridges: Miyajima Madake, Zero Mono 0.7 and Premium 1.0 retipped by Ana Mighty Sound with bamboo cantilever, Ortofon SPU Royal N and Shure M3D with Jico stylus; phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport.

'Wer nicht liebt Wein, Weib und Gesang der ist ein Narr sein Leben lang.'

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I am guessing you mean a regular classical concert goer! I go to concerts regularly and although my speakers are correctly connected it really does not make much difference to the music I listen to which way around the speakers are wired!

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I am guessing you mean a regular classical concert goer! I go to concerts regularly and although my speakers are correctly connected it really does not make much difference to the music I listen to which way around the speakers are wired!

Geoff
    Yes of course, though some orchestras employ a different arrangement.

Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast