+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chord Hugo / 2Qute

I'm Dani.

No wait
    Using it like this i don't think is the proper way
    In fact when you use the volume you are using the preamplifier of the Hugo well
    So you are passing the signal trough 2preamplifier..
    You can just lower the volume from the amplifier..easier
    And use the chord whatever as a pure dac. The sound changes very much, in worst if you pre pre the music..
    By the way : I used Hugo as a dac/pre to a pair of amplified Adam speaker with great results
    So that object is very flexible

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

The little Hugo is such a frustrating piece of kit...

I love the sound of the Hugo but I really hate it's aesthetics; all the bright lights and colours and tiny on/off switch. It looks and feels nothing like it's high price would suggest and to be honest I don't think on looks and operation it represents good value for money, but the sound is so amazing

However I couldn't resist the temptation to try the Naim Dac as I'm using a Naim amp and cd now so I have one coming very soon. What I do know is that the Naim Dac will be well made and operate faultlessly but to be honest it's going to have to be very good indeed to better the frustrating Hugo..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

The Naim Dac arrived today and it is in absolutely as new condition which is nice for a used item..

The sound is amazing... it has a lovely richness to the sound and like most Naim gear it does have a certain boogie factor to it which is quite addictive

I won't decide between the Naim Dac and the Hugo until I have used the Naim for some time, but initial thoughts are very good indeed
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I am now listening at low levels as it's getting late and the Naim Dac still sounds very good indeed, I'm well pleased with it
    Bev

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I am now listening at low levels as it's getting late and the Naim Dac still sounds very good indeed, I'm well pleased with it
    I will be very interested to see what your final conclusion is having bought and sold my way up the Chord range ie Mojo, Hugo1, Dave and now Dave with Blu2 CD/MScaler. Along that way I tried various other DACs including the Bricasti M1 but ultimately was always left feeling that they all glossed over huge amounts of detail/information in the music compared to the Chord DACs. Large scale orchestral works with the Chord DACs still retained the ability to hear each instrument rather than just a coalesced overall sound.

I have to admit though that I didn’t try the Naim.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourlegsgood View Post
    I will be very interested to see what your final conclusion is having bought and sold my way up the Chord range ie Mojo, Hugo1, Dave and now Dave with Blu2 CD/MScaler. Along that way I tried various other DACs including the Bricasti M1 but ultimately was always left feeling that they all glossed over huge amounts of detail/information in the music compared to the Chord DACs. Large scale orchestral works with the Chord DACs still retained the ability to hear each instrument rather than just a coalesced overall sound.

I have to admit though that I didn’t try the Naim.

The Naim Dacs are not even in the same league Nick
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

When trying to decide between the Hugo and the Naim Dac I said to myself "Which one would I miss the most?" and I have to say the Naim Dac won that argument quite convincingly

Yes the Hugo is very good and on some cd's it's excellent but I think the Naim Dac is more even-handed across the range of cd's I've thrown at it... also the Naim Dac has a certain 'something' that's tricky to put my finger on sound wise but I love it to bits

So my source is sorted: CD5XS into Naim Dac

The only thing I might try in the years to come would be the Chord Hugo TT but that can wait
    Bev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123