+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello From Yorkshire

I'm Jerry.

Default Hello From Yorkshire

I have been living in York for the last 14 years but am a Southerner really. Studied Physics to start with but switched to Computer and Electronic Engineering '76-'79 Then worked in IT for ever!

The stuff I (still) listen to is a bit old - Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, et al. I'm also a fan of the great blues masters - Clapton, Peter Green, etc. Also Leonard Cohen, REM, Gong, Al Stewart, Iron Butterfly, Blue Oyster Cult, Bowie and so on. So a '70s person, although I listen to other stuff including classical although I never had a good introduction to classical, so it's a bit of an alternate universe, albeit a pleasant one. I've been trying to learn the electric guitar since I was at school - still no luck, but I've built two of them and own several more! Why? Not sure, really!

I am semi-retired and divorced, 2 kids just finished uni, Though I worked in IT, I work mainly (remotely) as a volunteer for a London-based charity these days.
    Somewhat geeky and in the process of moving south again to a coastal area as my new partner lives there and won't move to York...

Kit is a motley crue (sic) - Linn LK-280 driven by Yamaha DSP-A500 av AMP, Sara 9 isobarik speakers, Pioneer 91 series sources (PD-91 CD, F91 tuner, CT-91a cassette deck), plus odds and ends. And I have an aged Revox B-35 I plan to restore one day. Anyway I have to admit I usually feed my system these days from the telly or PC and am still also puzzled by the convergence (or not) of the home cinema/PC and Audiophile trends... I suppose VR will eventually bring a whole new meaning to the soundstage and we'll all wander around in helmets containing screens and speakers! So it goes...

Am getting ready to modernise my equipment as my southern Belle's house is much tinier than mine and so I'll be looking for something dinkier! Headphones?
    Last edited by JerryK132; 09-10-2017 at 13:28. Reason: tweak!

I'm Geoff.

Hi Jerry. Welcome to AOS.

Sounds like you've been looking through my record collection.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of ideas for a new system here. If you have any equipment in mind, the members will be happy to give opinions.

Feel free to join in any chat that interests you.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread