+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Beatles, The USA and Ed Sullivan

Default The Beatles, The USA and Ed Sullivan

46 years ago yesterday the Beatles appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show a truly monumental event in America. And on this day 46 years ago everything had changed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    (2) Lacie Quadra2 HDD>(2) Cardas Clear USB Cables>Mac Mini (AIFF-iTunes-Pure Music)>Cardas Clear USB cable>Bel Canto DAC 1.5>Cardas Clear Light XLR interconnects>Bel Canto 500S amp>Cardas Clear Sky Speaker cables>Dynaudio Chorus 220 MKII speakers

I'm ChrisB.

Hehehe.......you may encounter militant indifference to the Beatles from some quarters on AoS!! I can't understand it myself how anyone can fail to see the the importance of this band or recognise the brilliance of most of what they did.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Hehehe.......you may encounter militant indifference to the Beatles from some quarters on AoS!! I can't understand it myself how anyone can fail to see the the importance of this band or recognise the brilliance of most of what they did.
    Indeed. People who don't like the Beatles should not be allowed to own records.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I would say to anyone try to transport yourself back to 1964 ' and imagine what the music scene was like ! there was Elvis of course but no Jimi hendrix ' led Zep ' Cream ' Doors etc ,etc .

What i am trying to say is how they inspired so many aspiring young talented guy's and gal's to go for it ' and they opened the door so to speak .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm ChrisB.

Exactly, and they entertained millions of people along the way (and are still doing so).

Whether that moment stands out for others or not it is simply for me one of those frozen moments in time. I remember sitting with my family in front of the small black & white screen watching The Ed Sullivan Show as we did each week and things changed from that moment for me. I am not stuck in a time warp. I can still enjoy The Beatles music but it opened a window for me with music. I climbed through it and never came through the front door again. Of course from then on I Came In Through The Bathroom Window!
    (2) Lacie Quadra2 HDD>(2) Cardas Clear USB Cables>Mac Mini (AIFF-iTunes-Pure Music)>Cardas Clear USB cable>Bel Canto DAC 1.5>Cardas Clear Light XLR interconnects>Bel Canto 500S amp>Cardas Clear Sky Speaker cables>Dynaudio Chorus 220 MKII speakers

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Spring 1963, my friend's sixth birthday party and all we teenies from her class were there. Her mother played some records and one of them was "She Loves You..." I actually preferred Love Me Do when I heard it some time after...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Default A Small Aside

Another small memory that hangs with me is the first time I heard a Beatles song, I Want To Hold Your Hand. I was in 8th grade of elementary school. I was "in love" with Suzie. She called me on the phone. There was only a single old fashion telephone in the house, it was a party line with several families in the neighborhood sharing the same line. To get privacy I had to stretch the cord and sit on the floor of a closet. Suzie said she wanted me to hear something. She placed her phone next to her '45' record player and played "I Want To Hold Your Hand". I knew right then for certain she "loved" me. She didn't, she married a very good friend in later years and as silly as that little story may seem it was a cherished moment to a 13 year old boy. This was released in America on January 14th so I must of heard it a week or two before the Ed Sullivan show appearance.
    Last edited by mwheelerk; 11-02-2010 at 14:32.

I'm notAlone.

How romantic.

Magical Mystery Tour was the second cassette I bought with my brand-new hifi cassette player back in 73 (a Sankyo bought with my first earned money from a summer job).
    Boy, what a sound in the headphones ! Even now, I'm stunned of the engineering mixing process of this album.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Spring 1963, my friend's sixth birthday party and all we teenies from her class were there. Her mother played some records and one of them was "She Loves You..." I actually preferred Love Me Do when I heard it some time after...
    Nice stories, guys. It must've been great to have been around when the likes of The Beatles first appeared on the scene - so much superb music was born then

In '63, though, I doubt that I was even a twinkle in my father's eye....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast