+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike New Base plates x4 Members Needed

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Just noticed this post, after Mick bumped the thread earlier....

Quote Originally Posted by allthingsanalogue View Post
    If I had never had glued the BP in place I may still have the deck. I found it changed the sound of the 1210 with the BP & MN Platter, it lost it's sparkle that I always liked and sounded slower and more lumpy.
    Lol - I couldn't disagree more!! When I fitted the base plate, the complete opposite effect was achieved: it made my T/T sound bigger and more musically together, as the BP allowed me to hear the full benefits of the MN bearing.

Subsequently, it moved the performance of my T/T on considerably, so much so that at the time I mentioned here that the bearing and BP should be purchased together, as that's the only way to hear the bearing at its best. The very LAST thing my Techy sounds like is slow and lumpy...

However, Andrew, you heard what you heard, and you're entitled to your opinion. May I ask which MN platter did you use, an ETP or the heavy aluminium one?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dubster68 View Post
    Still keeping the Technics Andy but trying out an SRM Athena turntable and up to now its a quality sound. Just ordered the upgraded PSU and 10mm platter that I have ben told makes a massive difference. Hence why I am selling the Techie stuff.
    Interesting, Mick. That's quite a change of direction. May I ask what prompted it - were you not happy with the sound of your modded Techy?

Out of curiosity, how would you compare the sound of the SRM to the above?

Btw, the return to stock of your Techy, and what you heard, is deeply revealing, and as you say shows that none of us who've modded the Technics extensively have 'imagined' the sonic benefits it brings

I wouldn't swap mine for anything else, or ever sell it, as it's unique. If I do get another T/T, it'll be to run alongside my Techy. The front contender for that is an Audio Grail modified Garrard 301, as at some point I want an idler in my life!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Used to have an SRM. good decks.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

They are indeed, but very different from a Technics.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Interesting, Mick. That's quite a change of direction. May I ask what prompted it - were you not happy with the sound of your modded Techy?

Out of curiosity, how would you compare the sound of the SRM to the above?

Btw, the return to stock of your Techy, and what you heard, is deeply revealing, and as you say shows that none of us who've modded the Technics extensively have 'imagined' the sonic benefits it brings

I wouldn't swap mine for anything else, or ever sell it, as it's unique. If I do get another T/T, it'll be to run alongside my Techy. The front contender for that is an Audio Grail modified Garrard 301, as at some point I want an idler in my life!

Marco.
    Cant deny, I love the Audio Grail decks, stripped and built like new from bottom up and just look class.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Exactly, Rob. Not cheap, but hey what is in life that's truly special?

For me, anything *that* old (40-50 years) needs fettling by a professional, in order to ensure that it's performing at its MAXIMUM capability, as it did the day it left the factory (and perhaps even better). I'd do the exact same with an SP10 [a much more complicated prospect altogether], if I were ever to go down that route, and indeed could trust someone to do it right.

These types of vintage T/Ts are undoubtedly fantastic (as they were engineered to be 'cost no object'), but just like a classic car, you can't expect it to perform as it did when new without a bit of attention - and I'd never be satisfied unless I knew that I was hearing them at their BEST!

Marco.
    Main System

This video encapsulates that concept perfectly, and illustrates why AG are *the* chaps for the job:

A BBC Hammertone grey is the one I'd go for, as I love their rather 'sombre' and purposeful look

Hey, it's the turntable that Tony Blackburn used to launch Radio 1!

Marco.
    Main System

For those interested, I've found my review of the MN bearing baseplate, when it was first installed, and stand by every word:

See here :http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...349#post559349

You'll note that it was rather different from the results Andrew obtained....

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Mick.

Default Mike New Base plates x4 Members Needed

Hi Chaps. Still love my 1210 and was very close to getting a Mk5G. I then decided I fancied a change in direction as my MK2 went as far as it could. Putting it back to standard has proved a point to me that though expensive the upgrades are worthwhile. Not taking anything away from a standard deck as they are amazing. But as I proved sonically it can be improved a great amount with the correct expensive mods. The 1210 is still here set up and will be going into my conservatory so I now have x2 turntables. Back to the SRM it is a very good looking turntable. The sound was very pin point and clear. When I put my Ortofon Black cart on it sounded amazing straight away. The funny thing was the cart was a 2 minute fitment compared to the nightmare I had getting it set up on the Techie. I have ordered the upgraded power supply and deeper 10mm Platter that I have been told transforms the turntable again. Only time will tell. Once my Techie parts are sold I will be upgrading the arm as it has a basic Rega 202 arm. Saying that from the start the arm has sounded pretty good so hoping for better things with an upgraded arm. So I am not deserting my 1210 as it’s an iconic thing that is still going strong after all these years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Dubster68; 19-11-2017 at 07:50.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Just noticed this post, after Mick bumped the thread earlier....

Lol - I couldn't disagree more!! When I fitted the base plate, the complete opposite effect was achieved: it made my T/T sound bigger and more musically together, as the BP allowed me to hear the full benefits of the MN bearing.

Subsequently, it moved the performance of my T/T on considerably, so much so that at the time I mentioned here that the bearing and BP should be purchased together, as that's the only way to hear the bearing at its best. The very LAST thing my Techy sounds like is slow and lumpy...

However, Andrew, you heard what you heard, and you're entitled to your opinion. May I ask which MN platter did you use, an ETP or the heavy aluminium one?

Marco.
    It was the ETP.

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast