+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: record clamp/weights useful or not? Any ideal weight?

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Default record clamp/weights useful or not? Any ideal weight?

Hi Folks

I'm toying with the idea of trying out a record clamp/weight, are they of any use at all? I have a Notts Analogue interspace SE so no issue with suspension etc.

What sort of difference should one make to sound etc?

I bought a 45 rpm adapter from this seller and it's nicely made so I thought I might try a weight from them but they have different weights on offer. The 45 adapter is nicely machined so I'm considering a weight too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/45-Record-...YAAOSwrblZmHiD

any comments welcome. cheers

I'm Mick.

I use mine mainly to hold records from slipping on my glass mat when I clean them before playing. I have not noticed any difference in sound quality on or off.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Chris.

I used one years ago but I didn't notice much difference. It was heavy and it probably just helped wear some bearings out.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Ta muchly , any positive experiences out there or should I spend the money on vinyl?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Ta muchly , any positive experiences out there or should I spend the money on vinyl?
    Just my 2p

I use mine on records that are either a bit lightweight or slightly warped. On 180g I dont bother. I found it to add a bit of focus and tighten the bass on some vinyl.

I recommend buying a cheap one, say £20 off eBay. If you don't like it or can't hear what I hear, it's only £20. If you like it, buy what you want!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Ok cool

Considers drilling hole in doorstop....

I'm Martin.

Use anything to hand, it doesn't matter, although this being the hobby it is, if you want to spunk a couple of grand on one you can

I don't like them on the whole, they sort of improve some aspects and degrade others so it will always be a personal taste thing. Plus I worry about extra wear on the bearing, probably unnecessarily, but who knows?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

http://www.nagaoka.eu/index.php?item...aid=73&lang=EN

these are good. not particularly heavy but do add a little focus to lightweight stuff. bonus is you get a superb needle cleaner too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Deleted.

There are record clamps and record weights - ostensibly both do the same thing however:

Clamps: usually screw onto the centre spindle or use a split chuck arrangement to grip the centre spindle. In every case they grip the centre spindle. The problem with this is that the clamp is directly connected to the main bearing which is the primary source of noise outside of the motor. The clamp is also pressed against the record so any noise in the bearing is directly coupled to the record surface and to the same surface the stylus rests on. The second problem is that it's difficult to regulate the pressure that the clamp exerts and it is very likely to vary from record to record and between uses.

Weights: the problem with weights is primarily - the weight of them . Increasing the load on the bearing is not a good thing. In the worst case it will increase wear and in the best case it will increase noise. In addition, if you use a suspended design you may well alter the resonant frequency of the suspension by increasing the suspended mass and it may even be rendered useless.

In short, there is no free lunch. Record weights and clamps both bring the record into tighter (not necessarily closer) contact with the record mat/interface. So whatever the sonic colourations (sound) of that interface are will be exaggerated. In other words, you hear the sound of the record mat/interface more. Whether you hear this effect is down to how transparent your system is - but after a certain point record mats and clamps/weights are clearly audible, as are the differences between different types.
    Account Deleted

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubster68 View Post
    I use mine mainly to hold records from slipping on my glass mat when I clean them before playing. I have not noticed any difference in sound quality on or off.
    +1 I have a copper mat so use to stop slipping when cleaning. I did have a project weight that made no difference to sound whatsoever.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast