+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HDPlex linear PSU has blown up my SEG!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Yup i asked about the tip but no reply so far.
    Yes well spotted Grant, and highly likely to be the cause of the fault, But Gareth's SEG Caiman - its design should have predicted the possibility of incorrect polarity occurring in the first place.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Yes well spotted Grant, and highly likely to be the cause of the fault, But Gareth's SEG Caiman - its design should have predicted the possibility of incorrect polarity occurring in the first place.
    thought it would be fused tbh. A lot of ac onto the cap could do it too if the psu is faulty but tip polarity is most likely at moment
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    thought it would be fused tbh. A lot of ac onto the cap could do it too if the psu is faulty but tip polarity is most likely at moment
    I looked up the user manual, and there is a fuse fitted internally of 2A rating, but it looks like it did not provide needed protection on this occasion.

I'm Gareth.

Checked the pins, all are DC centre positive. I’m mystified.

I'm Grant.

..need to get it on a scope and see whats happening Garath. Something seriously wrong if its taking everything out it touches.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gareth.

It’s going back next week for a full refund. Not sure if I can claim for the subsequent damage, perhaps chalk that up to experience and the perils of fart-arsing about with electrics.

I'm Gareth.

Not too bothered about the RPi3 going up in smoke TBH; the Roku dying irritates me but that was a glitchy POS, but the Caiman SEG? Seriously miffed. I’ve reached out to Stan by email to ask for his help, see if I can get it repaired.

I'm Grant.

no harm in asking, but unless you get proof it will be difficult. Happened to me last year, I got something on loan/ trial that took out a monoblock which is still u/s. I decided to just give up on it and put it down to experience... Still miffs me tho.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gareth.

I can’t prove I didn’t plug the 12v/15v output into the 5v RPi3 and that I didn’t plug the 15v output into the 12v Roku and so on. I’ll be sure to mention it when it goes back, but I’ll chalk this up to experience and perhaps a lesson to myself that tweaking doesn’t necessarily bring about positive results.

Thanks all for the input though, appreciated

I'm Adam.

You are not the only this has happened to.

I have a Chinese Linear Power supply that provides 15v for the SEG and 5v.

I recently killed my Squeezebox Touch by putting 15v into it instead of 5v !

I have now replaced it with a Raspberry Pi and Wolfson Audio Card running SqueezeLite.

I have also colour coded the power leads now (strange how these things only get done after the event)

I met an Electronics Engineer at my sons radio controlled boat club yesterday - he has kindly offered to see if he can fix the Squeezebox Touch for me.
    Adam.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12