+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDPlex linear PSU has blown up my SEG!

I'm Gareth.

Default HDPlex linear PSU has blown up my SEG!

Is 15.27v sufficient to cause damage to my SEG?

Installed a HDPlex linear PSU this morning and hooked the SEG to the DC19V output that I’d internally adjusted all the way down to 15.27v (won’t go any lower). After approx. 30mins lots of smoke pouring from the Caiman. Unplugged it all, whipped off the top to reveal a blown capacitor and a certain amount of wetness inside:

https://imgur.com/gallery/ddnsk

Not happy to say the least and very concerned about the risk of more serious damage (i.e. ignition and fire).

Any advice gratefully received.

I'm Gareth.

And my RPi3 and my Roku Premiere+

FFS

I'm gone.

Oh no.
    Cripes.
    Nightmare.

I'm Grant.

Default HDPlex linear PSU has blown up my SEG!

Must have been putting out more than the seg can take. Put a metre across the plug and see what's really coming out of it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gareth.

I did measure the output voltages before plugging everything in:

Fixed 5v = 5.25v
    Fixed 12v = 12.25v
    Variable 5v-19v = 12.1v
    Variable 15v-19v = 15.27v

Checked and rechecked and when plugging in the Roku, it sparked and bizarrely the RPi3 went up in smoke. Roku also fails to power on now.

Turning into an expensive day

I'm Grant.

Deffo dc
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gareth.

Yep, definitely DC. Unless I have seriously misunderstood it’s capabilities, I’m at a loss to understand why it’s all gone wrong.

RMA request made.

I'm Grant.

Got the tips right way round I take it. I would also check for ac in case
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

This suggests a case of incorrect polarity arriving at the Dc connector. The Caiman as I see is designed for its own power supply
    so much caution needed connecting anything else.

However it should also if well designed for the real world have either a forward biased diode, meaning that it is connected with anode in cathode out to the supply, or a shunt diode meaning anode to ground and cathode to supply. The part that has failed internally is likely to be the capacitor seeing reverse polarity ( without a diode ) which aside from leaking its electrolyte can also explode, however it looks like SEG Caiman have fitted a resistor which is the part that caused the smoke and this has limited the current. So slightly messy, but unlikely to have totally damaged the unit, rather replacement of parts, or the power supply section itself.

Slightly over 15 volts really should not have caused any damage, but I would need to see a schematic to confirm.

A good electronics shop could repair, but better return to SEG Caiman, who will either replace under warranty ( maybe ? )
    or fit a new power supply.

So it does not happen again once it is repaired , you need to fit a forward biased diode inline. This will involve modifying the cable to have a diode fitted. The diode slightly drops the voltage too. The diode needs to be rated to well within the current rating drawn by the SEG Caiman
    and its voltage too needs to be considered, although voltage is easily normally catered for- as its hard finding a diode rated under 100v.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    This suggests a case of incorrect polarity arriving at the Dc connector. The Caiman as I see is designed for its own power supply
    so much caution needed connecting anything else.

However it should also if well designed for the real world have either a forward biased diode, meaning that it is connected with anode in cathode out to the supply, or a shunt diode meaning anode to ground and cathode to supply. The part that has failed internally is likely to be the capacitor seeing reverse polarity ( without a diode ) which aside from leaking its electrolyte can also explode, however it looks like SEG Caiman have fitted a resistor which is the part that caused the smoke and this has limited the current. So slightly messy, but unlikely to have totally damaged the unit, rather replacement of parts, or the power supply section itself.

Slightly over 15 volts really should not have caused any damage, but I would need to see a schematic to confirm.

A good electronics shop could repair, but better return to SEG Caiman, who will either replace under warranty ( maybe ? )
    or fit a new power supply.

Cheers / Chris
    Yup i asked about the tip but no reply so far.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast