+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tidal - what a load of rubbish

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Spotify sound quality isn't liveable with for me - it is pretty obviously inferior to TIDAL via my system. Qobuz was a joke compared to TIDAL with software that was a total pain in the arse. But that was a long time ago.

For the stuff I listen too, when I crossed checked with Spotify recently, Spotify's breadth of content was not superior and was actually worse in a few cases.

TIDAL's mobile app is a big plus for me as I use it a lot at work and in the car. Spotify's used to continually lose all my downloads. These days I'd hope they've fixed that.

It's the metadata situation that put me off primarily. For example found a CD of renaissance clavichord music the other night. Some nice stuff. But only the performer's name listed, there's no way to find out who the music was composed by (in this sort of CD there might be half a dozen different composers). Looking into it I found that's only the tip of the iceberg. Vocal works with singer but no accompanist shown, orchestral vocal works with no singers listed and in some cases no singers or composers named - just a work and a conductor. It's madness and simply demonstrates that they aren't interested in doing a decent job. This is absolutely basic stuff.

The sound quality seemed fine though paying double for supposedly hi-res content that wasn't there seems a bit off.

I just tried to fire up Qobuz, it still thinks I'm in Taiwan, and won't allow me to change language (it's stuck in French) or country, which means it won't accept my credit card either to do a trial subscription. I sent them a message previously to get it sorted but it wasn't replied to. I just tried again. I guess I could re-register with a new email address.

So it might well be Spotify. Haven't looked at it in years, TBH.

I'm Adam.

stick a record on!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

Sorry couldn’t disagree more, sound quality is great and used through Roon all metadata is fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nick

UK - Technics SP10, EPA 500, AT33SA - Roonserver on i5 NUC running Windows 10 Pro - Devialet 1000 PRO CI - Magico S5 - Finite Elemente Wall Shelf

Spain - Roonserver on i7 NUC running Windows 10 Pro - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Ergo IX

I'm Adam.

That's the point though NickB, you shouldn't have to add another premium subscription solution to make another up to scratch!

Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    Sorry couldn’t disagree more, sound quality is great and used through Roon all metadata is fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

montesquieu Guest

An update I've just got a reply from Qobuz who have at last got me down as UK (so I could initiate a trial subscription) though I'm still all in French, I guess there must be a setting for that.

Immediately checking some of the same music - no problems at all, all the metadata is there. Haven't compared sq yet.

I'm Adam.

Tom Are you streaming the Qobuz on your main system to your DAC via Rpi ?
    If so which controller software are using on your phone / iPad?
    I only ask as in having horrid issues with Linn Kazoo software as a controller.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Tom Are you streaming the Qobuz on your main system to your DAC via Rpi ?
    If so which controller software are using on your phone / iPad?
    I only ask as in having horrid issues with Linn Kazoo software as a controller.
    No using it in the study using my 'spare' Macbook (dedicated for music) via Bluetooth => Arcam rBlink => SPDIF coax into Schiit Multibit DAC

In the main rig I use a USB cable into a Gustard USB-SPDIF interface => coax into Audio Note DAC.

I still have an RPi but using an old Macbook now to drive everything, I replaced it with a 15in one so the old one (2009 but still working fine) came free. Replaced the CD drive with a half gig SSD and the internal with a 1TB, and took all the other crap off it so a bit of room to play with on there.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    No using it in the study using my 'spare' Macbook (dedicated for music) via Bluetooth => Arcam rBlink => SPDIF coax into Schiit Multibit DAC

In the main rig I use a USB cable into a Gustard USB-SPDIF interface => coax into Audio Note DAC.

I still have an RPi but using an old Macbook now to drive everything, I replaced it with a 15in one so the old one (2009 but still working fine) came free. Replaced the CD drive with a half gig SSD and the internal with a 1TB, and took all the other crap off it so a bit of room to play with on there.
    Sounds like you a ready for a Roon trial!

I'm Edward.

Prompted by this thread I just signed up for the 15 day trail of Qobuz. I'll be uninstalling it pretty pronto.

It is billed as a 15 day trial but it is a very crippled trial. Only 45 seconds per track, only 320 mp3 and many (I mean many) 404 errors. I installed the windows 64 bit app as well as the Android version. Whilst the android version saw my TV as a playback device it did not see its own app (on my Windows machine) as a playback device - so bang goes the idea the Android app can be used as a remote control - like Spotify does so well.

Also the Windows app has no easy way of seeing/playing local content. It says go to the ooo menu and 'import' but there is no ooo menu.

It did see my audio device drivers so that is a plus I guess.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm John.

Hi Edward,
    Something must have gone very wrong somewhere because you can listen to 45sec samples without any subscription at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast