+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tidal - what a load of rubbish

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Tom

Not sure if the highlighted text relates to Itunes or JRiver? If JRiver then most definitely a user can change the sampling or not. The default is 'no change' but can be changed to anything one wants (subject to the DAC accepting the sample rate). Look in Tools under DSP and audio output functions.
    No Jriver. yes I have output encoding 'none' selected but that only concerns DSD .... I'm told it now converts everything to 24bit whether you want it to or not. Sample rate apparently can be controlled but not bit depth. (I need to constrain the sample rate as my AN DAC 'only' goes to 24/96 anyway).

EDIT - some info in the Jriver WIKI

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Bitdepth

Specifically:

<i>'When Media Center inputs data, all audio is first converted to 64bit. This ensures that any processing like digital volume, Replay Gain, or any other DSP (if any is enabled) is done with as much precision as possible. It also puts the data into a format that is efficient for a computer to handle, and makes it so that tracks of varying bitdepths can seamlessly transition. '</i>

From https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Bitdepth

<i>'In older versions of Media Center, you'd set the Bitdepth setting explicitly here. Modern versions of Media Center set this automatically. '</i>

So there is now no choice in the matter - it buggers around with the signal on the input to JRiver and there's no way to stop it doing that. Unlike previously. Arrogant sods.

I'm Adam.

Qobuz is a streaming AND download service, which I ascertained after signing up!
    It shows and teases lots of nice ECM catalogue titles, classical and jazz, so I handed over my corn to find out ..
    ECM is download only and won't steam on Qobuz... I felt quite swindled.. so cancelled.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    No Jriver. yes I have output encoding 'none' selected but that only concerns DSD .... I'm told it now converts everything to 24bit whether you want it to or not. Sample rate apparently can be controlled but not bit depth. (I need to constrain the sample rate as my AN DAC 'only' goes to 24/96 anyway).

Specifically:

<i>'When Media Center inputs data, all audio is first converted to 64bit. This ensures that any processing like digital volume, Replay Gain, or any other DSP (if any is enabled) is done with as much precision as possible. It also puts the data into a format that is efficient for a computer to handle, and makes it so that tracks of varying bitdepths can seamlessly transition. '</i>

<i>'In older versions of Media Center, you'd set the Bitdepth setting explicitly here. Modern versions of Media Center set this automatically. '</i>

So there is now no choice in the matter - it buggers around with the signal on the input to JRiver and there's no way to stop it doing that. Unlike previously. Arrogant sods.
    Ah I was just about to respond to your post before you added the edit.

Yes I also leave Output encoding to 'none' as you say it relates to DSD. But I do take care with the sample rate setting ensuring anything over 192 is downsampled to a multiple of its class (44.1 or 48). So sample rate is user selectable.

The fact that JRiver outputs at 24 or 32 bits will make zero difference to the sq. All it is doing is padding the word length with zeros. It is not adding or subtracting anything - unlike changing the sample rate.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Grant.

Specifically:

it goes in as 16/44 and comes out 16/44 for me unless I ask it otherwise.(sticking it up to 64 temp is just for processing purposes and shouldnt affect sound) Ive never used the dsd stuff. The headphone setting pops it up to 32 bit as far as I can see. I like the headphone setting in it but for headphones. i have a few settings set in different ssved sections and switch depending on where I send it. Some folk dont like doing this but to me its just the same as changing headphones or dac/speakers etc.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Ah I was just about to respond to your post before you added the edit.

Yes I also leave Output encoding to 'none' as you say it relates to DSD. But I do take care with the sample rate setting ensuring anything over 192 is downsampled to a multiple of its class (44.1 or 48). So sample rate is user selectable.

The fact that JRiver outputs at 24 or 32 bits will make zero difference to the sq. All it is doing is padding the word length with zeros. It is not adding or subtracting anything - unlike changing the sample rate.
    I'd really rather it didn't do that. What I want is the option to play stuff out 100% in the native format I have on my hard drive, whatever it is (and it varies a lot depending where I sourced the file), rather than changing it. It used to do that, and now it doesn't.

And yes aware of the issue of keeping sample rates to multiples.

I'm Edward.

I'd really rather it didn't do that. What I want is the option to play stuff out 100% in the native format I have on my hard drive, whatever it is (and it varies a lot depending where I sourced the file), rather than changing it. It used to do that, and now it doesn't.

And yes aware of the issue of keeping sample rates to multiples.

But all it is are zeroes. But I do understand the purist angle.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Spotify Premium is much better in regard to the metadata.
    I had parallel subs to Tidal and Spotify for 4 months and just let Tidal end, I had barely used it, much preferring Spot.
    You get the occasional classical music howler but they are few and far between, tbh.
    It's been my mains source for 2 or 3 years and I am over the moon with it. A fantastic way to discover and listen to music.
    Another Spotify user here. Love the way it interfaces with RuneAudio on the Rasperry Pi. I know there is testing going on at higher bitrates. So sound quality that's already very good may come up to Tidal's level.

I'm Grant.

It is being tested in beta.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

It's missing LOADS of stuff though, not even one full set of Bach cantatas to be had, notably poorer than Tidal in this regard.
    I didn't actually count them, but most if not all of Suzuki's Bach Cantatas on BIS are available on Qobuz. (It may take a while for them all to load).

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jonners View Post
    I didn't actually count them, but most if not all of Suzuki's Bach Cantatas on BIS are available on Qobuz. (It may take a while for them all to load).
    Well only about 3 came up on a search for Bach Cantatas or for Suzuki

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast