+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Facebook is very scary.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Mmm... The jury's out for me on that one, judging by amount of time that some of them spend on there, posting idiotic 'selfies', or similar banal nonsense, to folk every two minutes. It wouldn't leave much time for anything else!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

montesquieu Guest

Never had Facebook, looked at it when it first started to be popular and though no chance. It's got worse and worse too, this tagged pics nonsense these days.

I don't ever sign into google either - I had to set myself up once when I got an android phone cheap for when I was travelling in Taiwan and Japan, and my iPhone was tied to a contract. Even though you can shut off tracking I still don't trust the buggers.

Remember if a service is free then ***YOU*** are the product, your data to be bought and sold with little control. Europe is a bit better (thanks to EU Data Protection regulations) but America is outrageous - it's possible to buy information with up to 5000 datapoints on each of 200 million individual consumers, which is a frightening amount of information.

GDPR may help but ultimately they'll find a way to make you click through stuff and give them permission to buy and sell you.

With ubiquitous computing and the internet of things - sensors in everything including your car, communicating it back to base - this can only get worse. Goods that you theoretically own but where the provider of the software can impose restrictions - such as Tesla outlawing their cars to be used for ride sharing, or farm vehicles that can effectively only be serviced by particular dealers (not great if your in some village in Nebraska 200 miles from the nearest outlet).

Needless to say I won't be buying any of these Alexa-type devices that listen to your conversations and attempt to fulfill your 'needs'. Actually I think at some point people will get heartily sick of all this.

http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/w...06-gx5zvj.html

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...ut-of-my-face/

I'm Geoff.

I have a pal who is on Facebook every day. The mind shrivelling rubbish he involves himself with is unbelievable.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I suspect a lot of the people on FB have very active social lives in the real world, that just isn't enough for them for some reason.
    Thats a deep point actually Martin and very true. They seem to be out and active all the time but always seem to be trying to keep in touch/show off with a wider circle as if the present moment is not enough..Sheena said this or heres a picture of my meal....really who cares?

There was something on telly last night where a young woman had kissed someone then blatantly put it on facebook so her boyfriend saw it. They are living their truly unremarkable lives out on some sort of stage and thats what irks me the most.

I feel like saying you are with us tonight so stop looking at your phone. Luckily I dont hang about with many of the facebook addicts.

My aunt is getting pretty bad with a tablet device. She was always over chatty but now she has all the holiday snaps and instant messaging to hand.

I can understand it for more isolated old sods like me but I do like my privacy and wouldnt dare to presume anybody was interested in the minutiae of my life.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 12-10-2017 at 19:06.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    They are living their truly unremarkable lives out on some sort of stage and thats what irks me the most.

I feel like saying you are with us tonight so stop looking at your phone.
    Me too. It's the utter banality of it all that gets me, and you just feel like giving them a shake! You have to wonder what's inside their heads, other than perhaps some stale air?

In terms of the last bit, I would have done - and in no uncertain terms either. But then our friends are neither 'iPhone zombies', or likely to behave so rudely in our company.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Phil.

recently joined facebook to keep up with old work colleagues who i miss . its been brilliant , caught up with loads of old friends i havn`t had contact with . helped build relationships with distant rels . i know there is lots of rubbish but there is some good . recently homebase fined me 60 quid for staying at their store for 15 mins too long [limit 1hour] which i did not realise . put it on their facebook page and within approx 5 mins the manager had rung me re the matter
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345