+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic motorcycle

I'm Martin.

Even tried trials riding for a bit: An old Greeves Scottish with Villiers 197cc 8E engine and a modern (was back then) Armstrong.

Armstrong & Greeves Scottish trails bikes 1985 by Martin, on Flickr

Me competing on a Fantic 200.

Fantic 200 - Bleak Hall 1986 2nd place by Martin, on Flickr
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Geoff.

What was the engine in the Fantic? Looks like it could be a Montessa or Ossa unit (could also be Bultaco I guess).

I'm Martin.

I thought Fantic made them but it could be badged Fantic and made by A N Other. It was made late 1970s early 1980s.

They were only about 125cc even though called a Fantic 200. They had a carbon coated bore which meant if the bore was damaged it could not be re-bored.

http://www.fanticmotor.asso.fr/r02.htm this site gives a range of the models available.

It was a really good bike to ride for a twin shock and I won quite a few Clubmen events.
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Gary.

My Thruxton was quick, a bugger to start, regularly stripped timing gears ( which I think were Mica), driven hard you could almost burn your leg on the oil tank, mine had a mesh oil tank guard, don't know if this was std.

Added,, you can see the guard in the photo!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not sure I agree about the Velo Thruxton Marco. I think it's a gorgeous bike. Possibly the quickest all round production 500 single ever sold in the UK. And the best sounding!

And yes, I do know about the 500 BSA Gold Star, but they were often used with IOM gearing which made them useless off the mark. The Velo seemed more potent through the mid anyway. I saw them at Santa Pod on the drag strip against Goldies and the Velo would always win, beating some of the Bonnevilles too.

Another piccie:

I'm Ian.

Seeing the lovely old trials bikes reminds me of my old Suzuki SP400, very capable trail bike built to rival Yamaha's XT500. It was much more " British " like than the slightly revy XT and had a lovely thump of bass. My one had seen better days and the engine seized regularly but left to cool down it would rattle back into life with a couple of hefty prods on the kick start. It had huge amounts of character and more grunt than a pig on steroids.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Simon.

Default Sp370

Lovely bikes had a sp370 ,never really understood the difference, sprayed it matt black and at the time thought I was very mad max like.

I'm Shaun.

Triumph Speed Triple Engine Shot by Shaun Haselden, on Flickr

Triumph Speed Triple by Shaun Haselden, on Flickr

OK so I've labelled these as a Triumph Speed Triple in the hope that it is correct. Seafront gathering in Cleethorpes Lincolnshire. 16th June 2019. Lovely collection of bikes. Some lightweights, some heavy machinery. All of them much appreciated.

I'm Gary.

Looking at the rear tyre someone's been riding this hard!

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

Yatsushiro Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Looking at the rear tyre someone's been riding this hard!

Gary
    In a relatively straight line perhaps, as witnessed by the width of the chicken strips

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Talking of bikes that 'drop into corners'. Anybody ever ride a Kwaka GPX600R? That's the one with the sixteen inch wheels.

What a horror. I took one for a test ride, at every turn it just wanted to keep falling further as it leaned, really nasty. And it wasn't even usefully quick, no guts whatsoever apart from a short, mad, zing at the very top of the power band, useless. I walked away from that one quickly and bought a Honda CB-1 400 (naked 'Baby Blade') instead, which was a proper little cracker!!
    The GPZ600R was the the one that wanted to drop into corners due to different sized wheels, I had the GPX600R for about 2 years, great handling machine, could just about stay with the FZR600R too.
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast