+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic motorcycle

I'm jamie.

i went from a lambretta back in 86 to a yamaha rd350 ypvs,from then i went to a rd500 and tzr 250.
    i had a long break and got back into biking with the first model r6.
    i then got a 1998 r1 picture below.

brands hatch track day! lol

i then got a 2006 r6 and later on a 2005 r1,

as someone has already said,its easy to look back at the old bikes through rose tinted glasses,yes they may have power but the brakes were shit and so was the handling .
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yeah, but they looked much nicer/had character. You can always fit better brakes!

And handling only comes into it if you thrash it around the place... If I had one of those Triumphs, Ben showed earlier, I'd doubt I'd go faster than 80mph on it. Just nice to putter around the place, in nice weather, on country roads and enjoy the scenery

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Just nice to putter around the place, in nice weather, on country roads and enjoy the scenery

Marco.
    you'll be moving abroad then
    yes i take your point re bikes,each to there own i guess,i always went out with about 6 other mates who had similar bikes so a potter around looking at the scenery was out of the question ha ha
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    its easy to look back at the old bikes through rose tinted glasses,yes they may have power but the brakes were shit and so was the handling .
    Have you ridden one?

A good Norton or Velocette might have you rethinking that. Later examples even had decent enough brakes.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

you'll be moving abroad then
    yes i take your point re bikes,each to there own i guess,i always went out with about 6 other mates who had similar bikes so a potter around looking at the scenery was out of the question ha ha
    Lol - no need to move anywhere. I know what you mean about a convoy. Been there, done that. Life is now more chilled. Outside of deep winter, the weather's great round here too, and there are some AWESOME (largely empty) roads for bikes, quite different from Brighton...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Have you ridden one?

A good Norton or Velocette might have you rethinking that. Later examples even had decent enough brakes.
    no,its not my cup of tea geoff,
    i did ride a 1985 Suzuki rg500 when i had my r1,back in the day they were awesome,but compared to how bikes have moved on since it felt awful,tiny forks,small tyres. its only saving grace was the smell and sound coming out of the four tail pipes
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - no need to move anywhere. I know what you mean about a convoy. Been there, done that. Life is now more chilled. Outside of deep winter, the weather's great round here too, and there are some AWESOME (largely empty) roads for bikes, quite different from Brighton...

Marco.
    i dont have it in me now to ride like that anymore,i started to think about what might happen
    these days i find myself more lusting over lambrettas believe it or not.the social side of scootering is great and most of my very old scootering buddies are still doing it. trouble is the prices these days are massive.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

...but compared to how bikes have moved on since it felt awful,tiny forks,small tyres...
    I know exactly what you mean... All things, I'd imagine though, which could be tastefully 'pimped'... I'm a great believer in mixing the best of both new and old, and not just with hi-fi!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Ben.

i went from a lambretta back in 86 to a yamaha rd350 ypvs,from then i went to a rd500 and tzr 250.
    i had a long break and got back into biking with the first model r6.
    i then got a 1998 r1 picture below.

brands hatch track day! lol

i then got a 2006 r6 and later on a 2005 r1,

as someone has already said,its easy to look back at the old bikes through rose tinted glasses,yes they may have power but the brakes were shit and so was the handling .
    That early R1 is very nice Jamie, my brother had one in the same colour. at the time I had an 600 fazer and the R1 just felt like a rocket ship in comparision lol.

To me those early R1's and blades and such are modern classics. They just look "right" and are still way faster then most will ever need for day to day riding.
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

i dont have it in me now to ride like that anymore,i started to think about what might happen
    these days i find myself more lusting over lambrettas believe it or not.the social side of scootering is great and most of my very old scootering buddies are still doing it. trouble is the prices these days are massive.
    I know where you're coming from there, too. I was never into scooters, as I hated the whole mods image thing (I was a diehard biker). If you're into scooters, however, Google Moto Rumi (if you don't know of it already). My old man used to have one of these, which are now worth a pretty penny:

http://motorcycles-for-sale.biz/sale.php?id=30784

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast