+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic motorcycle

I'm Shaun.

Default Classic motorcycle

H2C 750 Triple by Shaun Haselden, on Flickr

Here is a shot of what was probably the luckiest I have ever been. During the mid nineties I owned this classic Kawasaki H2C 750cc two stroke triple and saw some fabulous summer motorcycling around Lincolnshire. The torque of this thing was bloody astonishing especially zooming around the local hills in the Wolds. I consider myself seriously lucky to have experienced this bike.

As is usual it was a case of right place, right time. I saw it and bought it. At the same time I owned a Yamaha FJ1200 and this H2C was so much more fun and accelerated so much stronger. Crazy damn machine.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lovely thing, Shaun. For me, the styling of those bikes is much more preferable to anything modern

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post

H2C 750 Triple by Shaun Haselden, on Flickr

Here is a shot of what was probably the luckiest I have ever been. During the mid nineties I owned this classic Kawasaki H2C 750cc two stroke triple and saw some fabulous summer motorcycling around Lincolnshire. The torque of this thing was bloody astonishing especially zooming around the local hills in the Wolds. I consider myself seriously lucky to have experienced this bike.

As is usual it was a case of right place, right time. I saw it and bought it. At the same time I owned a Yamaha FJ1200 and this H2C was so much more fun and accelerated so much stronger. Crazy damn machine.
    Years ago I had the H1 500, you really needed to take your brave pills if you fancied a bit of spirited riding. Coming into a bend at speed and dropping down a gear you'd hit the power band and it would buck and weave while trying to spit you off, frame made from drinking straws, 20 to the gallon and a raging thirst for 2 stroke oil......it was bloody brilliant. Oh and one other thing, that exhaust note was amazing.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

No doubt, that just like in comparison with modern cars, the handling will be abysmal with old bikes like that, but the 'feel' and look of them (just LOVE spoked wheels and chrome ANYTHING), is something special...

The ride with modern cars and bikes, in comparison, is just too 'sanitised', and subsequently not as much FUN!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No doubt, that just like in comparison with modern cars, the handling will be abysmal with old bikes like that, but the 'feel' and look of them (just LOVE spoked wheels and chrome ANYTHING), is something special...

The ride with modern cars and bikes, in comparison, is just too 'sanitised', and subsequently not as much FUN!

Marco.
    Well that really depends on what you are calling fun
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Of course, it's all subjective. In my experience, and based on what I call "fun', the BEST classic motorbikes and cars simply 'connect' you more with the riding or driving experience - and they LOOK sexier, too!

Stuff today, in comparison, is just too 'homogenised'... So, that's homogenised, in terms of looks, and sanitised, in terms of the drive or ride. What the last bit does is make them eminently safer and more reliable, but IMO, at the expense of 'fun factor', whilst the former impacts on individuality.

Sometimes technology has a lot to answer for

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Shaun.

Yes Ian your comments are extremely accurate. On anything like a sweeping bend this thing would weave and wriggle around. The sound though was outrageous and the torque delivery equally as outrageous. It was an astonishing bike to ride and to own and brought a lot of attention to itself.

Marco, yes, a lot of modern motorcycles are very sanitised in comparison and don't do very much with any kind of inspired fun. Over the 1990's I owned quite a few Ducati's and they are a very good example of a sanitised motorcycle. Extremely quick but highly predictable. Exactly the same with a large number of Japanese fours. Mega fast but unbelievably predictable.

I am so grateful I got to own and ride a lot of these bikes and indeed got to ride quite a few that I didn't even own. It has been an incredible pleasure over the years.

Electric bikes...! WTF...!!

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Marco, yes, a lot of modern motorcycles are very sanitised in comparison and don't do very much with any kind of inspired fun. Over the 1990's I owned quite a few Ducati's and they are a very good example of a sanitised motorcycle. Extremely quick but highly predictable. Exactly the same with a large number of Japanese fours. Mega fast but unbelievably predictable.

I am so grateful I got to own and ride a lot of these bikes and indeed got to ride quite a few that I didn't even own. It has been an incredible pleasure over the years.

The emboldened text says it all, mate!

Electric bikes...! WTF...!!
    The same as cars - a fooking ABOMINATION... They simply suck all the FUN out of motoring, as we're not supposed to have any at all these days!!

Marco [a fun-loving 'petrol head', until the day he dies].
    Main System

I'm Ben.

I've had a few bikes over the years, my latest bought at the start of this year is an 2015 R1200RS BMW. Its by far and away the best riding & handling bike I've ever had. The quality of the ride is near perfect for me and that in tern means im happier / more confident on the bike and can throw it about a bit more when the conditions and location allow.

Its very easy to get rose tinted about yesterdays machines but lets face it technology in general and certainly when it comes to bikes and their tyres has moved on a lot over the years and personally though my BMW may not have the "soul / noise / looks" of some of those older bikes I'm pretty certain that Id take it over a lot of them (possible exception to a mint RC45 / Duke 916 / the odd bimoto) .

Lovely bike that Kwaka by the way, what do you rise these days Shaun?
    Technics SL1210 with
    SME IV Arm & AT OC9XML,
    Firebottle modded Tron Convergence Phono Stage,
    Bluesound Node 2i, Technics SL DZ 1200 CD
    Denon PMA1700ne amp
    Yamaha NS1000M Speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    I've had a few bikes over the years, my latest bought at the start of this year is an 2015 R1200RS BMW. Its by far and away the best riding & handling bike I've ever had. The quality of the ride is near perfect for me and that in tern means im happier / more confident on the bike and can throw it about a bit more when the conditions and location allow.

Its very easy to get rose tinted about yesterdays machines but lets face it technology in general and certainly when it comes to bikes and their tyres has moved on a lot over the years and personally though my BMW may not have the "soul / noise / looks" of some of those older bikes I'm pretty certain that Id take it over a lot of them (possible exception to a mint RC45 / Duke 916 / the odd bimoto) .
    I completely agree, Ben, including (especially) the bit in bold. For me, there's no "may" about it - and that "soul", for some of us, is quite important

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast