+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic motorcycle

I'm jamie.

i went from a lambretta back in 86 to a yamaha rd350 ypvs,from then i went to a rd500 and tzr 250.
    i had a long break and got back into biking with the first model r6.
    i then got a 1998 r1 picture below.

brands hatch track day! lol

i then got a 2006 r6 and later on a 2005 r1,

as someone has already said,its easy to look back at the old bikes through rose tinted glasses,yes they may have power but the brakes were shit and so was the handling .
    My System/ Yamaha NS1000M speakers, Townsend Elite rock 2 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS tonearm,Decca C4E cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp ,

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yeah, but they looked much nicer/had character. You can always fit better brakes!

And handling only comes into it if you thrash it around the place... If I had one of those Triumphs, Ben showed earlier, I'd doubt I'd go faster than 80mph on it. Just nice to putter around the place, in nice weather, on country roads and enjoy the scenery

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Just nice to putter around the place, in nice weather, on country roads and enjoy the scenery

Marco.
    you'll be moving abroad then
    yes i take your point re bikes,each to there own i guess,i always went out with about 6 other mates who had similar bikes so a potter around looking at the scenery was out of the question ha ha
    My System/ Yamaha NS1000M speakers, Townsend Elite rock 2 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS tonearm,Decca C4E cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp ,

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    its easy to look back at the old bikes through rose tinted glasses,yes they may have power but the brakes were shit and so was the handling .
    Have you ridden one?

A good Norton or Velocette might have you rethinking that. Later examples even had decent enough brakes.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

you'll be moving abroad then
    yes i take your point re bikes,each to there own i guess,i always went out with about 6 other mates who had similar bikes so a potter around looking at the scenery was out of the question ha ha
    Lol - no need to move anywhere. I know what you mean about a convoy. Been there, done that. Life is now more chilled. Outside of deep winter, the weather's great round here too, and there are some AWESOME (largely empty) roads for bikes, quite different from Brighton...

Marco.

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Have you ridden one?

A good Norton or Velocette might have you rethinking that. Later examples even had decent enough brakes.
    no,its not my cup of tea geoff,
    i did ride a 1985 Suzuki rg500 when i had my r1,back in the day they were awesome,but compared to how bikes have moved on since it felt awful,tiny forks,small tyres. its only saving grace was the smell and sound coming out of the four tail pipes

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - no need to move anywhere. I know what you mean about a convoy. Been there, done that. Life is now more chilled. Outside of deep winter, the weather's great round here too, and there are some AWESOME (largely empty) roads for bikes, quite different from Brighton...

Marco.
    i dont have it in me now to ride like that anymore,i started to think about what might happen
    these days i find myself more lusting over lambrettas believe it or not.the social side of scootering is great and most of my very old scootering buddies are still doing it. trouble is the prices these days are massive.

...but compared to how bikes have moved on since it felt awful,tiny forks,small tyres...
    I know exactly what you mean... All things, I'd imagine though, which could be tastefully 'pimped'... I'm a great believer in mixing the best of both new and old, and not just with hi-fi!

Marco.

I'm Ben.

i went from a lambretta back in 86 to a yamaha rd350 ypvs,from then i went to a rd500 and tzr 250.
    i had a long break and got back into biking with the first model r6.
    i then got a 1998 r1 picture below.

brands hatch track day! lol

i then got a 2006 r6 and later on a 2005 r1,

as someone has already said,its easy to look back at the old bikes through rose tinted glasses,yes they may have power but the brakes were shit and so was the handling .
    That early R1 is very nice Jamie, my brother had one in the same colour. at the time I had an 600 fazer and the R1 just felt like a rocket ship in comparision lol.

To me those early R1's and blades and such are modern classics. They just look "right" and are still way faster then most will ever need for day to day riding.
    SL1210
    Jelco SA-750 & AT150 MLX,
    Firebottle phono stage,
    Jungson JA-88 amp,
    JBL L40 Speakers.
    M2tech Young dac .

i dont have it in me now to ride like that anymore,i started to think about what might happen
    these days i find myself more lusting over lambrettas believe it or not.the social side of scootering is great and most of my very old scootering buddies are still doing it. trouble is the prices these days are massive.
    I know where you're coming from there, too. I was never into scooters, as I hated the whole mods image thing (I was a diehard biker). If you're into scooters, however, Google Moto Rumi (if you don't know of it already). My old man used to have one of these, which are now worth a pretty penny:

http://motorcycles-for-sale.biz/sale.php?id=30784

Marco.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast