+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic motorcycle

I'm Shaun.

Default Classic motorcycle

H2C 750 Triple by Shaun Haselden, on Flickr

Here is a shot of what was probably the luckiest I have ever been. During the mid nineties I owned this classic Kawasaki H2C 750cc two stroke triple and saw some fabulous summer motorcycling around Lincolnshire. The torque of this thing was bloody astonishing especially zooming around the local hills in the Wolds. I consider myself seriously lucky to have experienced this bike.

As is usual it was a case of right place, right time. I saw it and bought it. At the same time I owned a Yamaha FJ1200 and this H2C was so much more fun and accelerated so much stronger. Crazy damn machine.
    Marantz CD6005 into Audiolab MDAC
    Nottingham Analogue Interspace turntable with Origin Live Onyx tonearm/Denon DL103/Dynavector P75 MkIII phono stage

Prima Luna Prologue preamp
    Prima Luna Dialogue Premium power amp/EL34

B&W CM8 S2 loudspeakers

Atlas Hyper interconnects
    Van Den Hul Teatrack biwired cables

Anything Ozric Tentacles based

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lovely thing, Shaun. For me, the styling of those bikes is much more preferable to anything modern

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post

H2C 750 Triple by Shaun Haselden, on Flickr

Here is a shot of what was probably the luckiest I have ever been. During the mid nineties I owned this classic Kawasaki H2C 750cc two stroke triple and saw some fabulous summer motorcycling around Lincolnshire. The torque of this thing was bloody astonishing especially zooming around the local hills in the Wolds. I consider myself seriously lucky to have experienced this bike.

As is usual it was a case of right place, right time. I saw it and bought it. At the same time I owned a Yamaha FJ1200 and this H2C was so much more fun and accelerated so much stronger. Crazy damn machine.
    Years ago I had the H1 500, you really needed to take your brave pills if you fancied a bit of spirited riding. Coming into a bend at speed and dropping down a gear you'd hit the power band and it would buck and weave while trying to spit you off, frame made from drinking straws, 20 to the gallon and a raging thirst for 2 stroke oil......it was bloody brilliant. Oh and one other thing, that exhaust note was amazing.
    My stuff; Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774 /Ortofon Quintet Black, Cambridge CXC CD transport/Musical Fidelity X DAC/Musical Fidelity X10v3 tube buffer, Musical Fidelity A3, Nakamichi CA-5E pre amp, Acoustic Solutions FM/DAB tuner, Mordaunt Short Signifer, Klotz MC5000/MS audio, NVA LS5

No doubt, that just like in comparison with modern cars, the handling will be abysmal with old bikes like that, but the 'feel' and look of them (just LOVE spoked wheels and chrome ANYTHING), is something special...

The ride with modern cars and bikes, in comparison, is just too 'sanitised', and subsequently not as much FUN!

Marco.

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No doubt, that just like in comparison with modern cars, the handling will be abysmal with old bikes like that, but the 'feel' and look of them (just LOVE spoked wheels and chrome ANYTHING), is something special...

The ride with modern cars and bikes, in comparison, is just too 'sanitised', and subsequently not as much FUN!

Marco.
    Well that really depends on what you are calling fun
    My System/ Yamaha NS1000M speakers, Townsend Elite rock 2 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS tonearm,Decca C4E cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp ,

Of course, it's all subjective. In my experience, and based on what I call "fun', the BEST classic motorbikes and cars simply 'connect' you more with the riding or driving experience - and they LOOK sexier, too!

Stuff today, in comparison, is just too 'homogenised'... So, that's homogenised, in terms of looks, and sanitised, in terms of the drive or ride. What the last bit does is make them eminently safer and more reliable, but IMO, at the expense of 'fun factor', whilst the former impacts on individuality.

Sometimes technology has a lot to answer for

Marco.

I'm Shaun.

Yes Ian your comments are extremely accurate. On anything like a sweeping bend this thing would weave and wriggle around. The sound though was outrageous and the torque delivery equally as outrageous. It was an astonishing bike to ride and to own and brought a lot of attention to itself.

Marco, yes, a lot of modern motorcycles are very sanitised in comparison and don't do very much with any kind of inspired fun. Over the 1990's I owned quite a few Ducati's and they are a very good example of a sanitised motorcycle. Extremely quick but highly predictable. Exactly the same with a large number of Japanese fours. Mega fast but unbelievably predictable.

I am so grateful I got to own and ride a lot of these bikes and indeed got to ride quite a few that I didn't even own. It has been an incredible pleasure over the years.

Electric bikes...! WTF...!!
    Marantz CD6005 into Audiolab MDAC
    Nottingham Analogue Interspace turntable with Origin Live Onyx tonearm/Denon DL103/Dynavector P75 MkIII phono stage

Prima Luna Prologue preamp
    Prima Luna Dialogue Premium power amp/EL34

B&W CM8 S2 loudspeakers

Atlas Hyper interconnects
    Van Den Hul Teatrack biwired cables

Anything Ozric Tentacles based

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Marco, yes, a lot of modern motorcycles are very sanitised in comparison and don't do very much with any kind of inspired fun. Over the 1990's I owned quite a few Ducati's and they are a very good example of a sanitised motorcycle. Extremely quick but highly predictable. Exactly the same with a large number of Japanese fours. Mega fast but unbelievably predictable.

I am so grateful I got to own and ride a lot of these bikes and indeed got to ride quite a few that I didn't even own. It has been an incredible pleasure over the years.

The emboldened text says it all, mate!

Electric bikes...! WTF...!!
    The same as cars - a fooking ABOMINATION... They simply suck all the FUN out of motoring, as we're not supposed to have any at all these days!!

Marco [a fun-loving 'petrol head', until the day he dies].

I'm Ben.

I've had a few bikes over the years, my latest bought at the start of this year is an 2015 R1200RS BMW. Its by far and away the best riding & handling bike I've ever had. The quality of the ride is near perfect for me and that in tern means im happier / more confident on the bike and can throw it about a bit more when the conditions and location allow.

Its very easy to get rose tinted about yesterdays machines but lets face it technology in general and certainly when it comes to bikes and their tyres has moved on a lot over the years and personally though my BMW may not have the "soul / noise / looks" of some of those older bikes I'm pretty certain that Id take it over a lot of them (possible exception to a mint RC45 / Duke 916 / the odd bimoto) .

Lovely bike that Kwaka by the way, what do you rise these days Shaun?
    SL1210
    Jelco SA-750 & AT150 MLX,
    Firebottle phono stage,
    Jungson JA-88 amp,
    JBL L40 Speakers.
    M2tech Young dac .

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    I've had a few bikes over the years, my latest bought at the start of this year is an 2015 R1200RS BMW. Its by far and away the best riding & handling bike I've ever had. The quality of the ride is near perfect for me and that in tern means im happier / more confident on the bike and can throw it about a bit more when the conditions and location allow.

Its very easy to get rose tinted about yesterdays machines but lets face it technology in general and certainly when it comes to bikes and their tyres has moved on a lot over the years and personally though my BMW may not have the "soul / noise / looks" of some of those older bikes I'm pretty certain that Id take it over a lot of them (possible exception to a mint RC45 / Duke 916 / the odd bimoto) .
    I completely agree, Ben, including (especially) the bit in bold. For me, there's no "may" about it - and that "soul", for some of us, is quite important

Marco.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast