+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Makin' Money

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Not made money on anything I've ever sold either on AoS or eBay, break-even or a slight loss is ok with me

I have just worked out what my, now 4, amps would cost if purchased brand new.... over £12K... I just can't believe it thank goodness I didn't spend anywhere near that, I am definitely not rich

Shocking, just shocking... I need to sell 3 of them.....
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Dennis.

I am reminded of my situation in '84 when I saw an as for speakers saying; "Sound as clear as light" for some ESS 1aMs in Exchange and Mart, at around £450.

I scrabbled around and sold my Tannoy Gold Lancasters to The Vintage Wireless Company, Bristol, an agreed price and time being made.

The owner turned up and was suited and smoking a fat cigar, (business style), and after we carried them downstairs he proceeded to put one on top of the other, tearing the veneer of the lower one that I had meticulously 'pledged' for many years. with the metal 'feet' of the upper one.

I pointed this out to him, and he said, "OH that doesn't matter we will re-do all that".
    I cannot understand this wanton attitude.

I'm Russell.

I guess no one gets into Hi Fi to make money! Unless you own a Hi Fi shop, perhaps?

I should point out that all of my profits are only observed. I haven't actually sold any of it yet. Just that I have been watching the market, and discovering what my components are selling for. And this may be because I am a careful shopper? Every bit of my system is used, even the phono cartridge and cables, and I did shop for items that have reached a plateau of depreciation. I purchased that Krell amp most recently, at less than 1/4th its original price. And other than the ding it received in shipping, it operates like new.

Oh I gave my entire stereo away several years ago, to my daughter and her husband, the whole system. So, that is certainly not making money there, but I felt good to do it, and have infected my son in law with the Audiophilia virus to a terminal degree. I remodeled some speakers I had laying about, to better than new with all new speaker elements and crossovers, and binding posts. And I sold them to a friend for less than I had in parts. Just because he wanted them due to the memories of the years those speakers fronted my old system. Loaned him a roll of speaker wire than I never got back.

So I speak in theoretical value, observing what my components are selling for, not just once but at least 3 examples, so it's not just a fluke that someone got top dollar, these items in good condition are getting these prices. And I've seen this Forte' Model 3 sell for over $700 more than 5 times! So should I give mine away to a stranger? I think not. If I make a move to sell it, which I should before long, no since in it setting. I'll be asking market value. Unless of course, a friend actually wanted it, I'd probably give it away, or more likely trade it for something.

But I don't live in England, so I'm not near most of you, and to be honest, I don't have any real "Hi Fi" friends, most of my friends think I'm crazy for being into stereo. And even those who like it, and come to listen, don't spend a dime of their own money on stereo. So the comradery most of you enjoy has always eluded me, one of the reasons I do enjoy this forum.

I do take comfort in knowing that when I die, the value stored in my stereo my afford me a decent burial! It's like life insurance that I get to enjoy now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post

I do take comfort in knowing that when I die, the value stored in my stereo my afford me a decent burial! It's like life insurance that I get to enjoy now.
    My other half reckons I should be buried in my Ardens

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Room for two surely?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm sorted.

Be a bit cosy, would have to remove the drivers..

I'm Steven.

When I've come to sell popular brands like Linn or Naim, I've got my money back, and sold quick, having bought ex-demo in the first place. Anything with valves is a bugger to sell for more than a third retail, not least because the retailers will discount, and expect it to take many months.
    The answer to this dreadful habit is to buy all-in-one systems (see below).
    Wilson, Devialet, Innuos, Puritan, Claro

I'm Russell.

Who says you can’t take it with you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Better to do it Viking style and be burnt on a pyre made from the Ardens.

Actually that is a bit of a waste, leave the Ardens to me in your will and we will burn you on a pile of old pallets instead.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    leave the Ardens to me in your will and we will burn you on a pile of old pallets instead.
    That'll save my grieving relatives some money but the Hifi's promised to my cousin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123