+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Celestion HF 1300 expert needed

I'm Chris.

I have removed the brackets. Each driver is marked T314. and both measure about 12 ohms.

Still firmly held, so if we are sure they come out through the front then I will gently chip away at the putty.

I'm Alex.

Yes, looking again at your pics, I see what looks a bit like putty. In the LS3/6 and Export monitors, there is thin felt around the inside of the tweeter hole, and that makes a sort of seal. It seems a bit of a shame breaking them, they should sell on ebay, possibly for more that you get for the parts.

It looks like you could remove quite a lot of the visible putty, then perhaps try some white spirit to soften the sealant.
    Spendorman

I'm Chris.

Sorry, but my 'reply with quote' is not working either????

Yes I'm very sorry to break them up but I even tried E bay at £20. Cost of postage too much I suppose. AND the wife has been giving me grief for them sitting around in the back bedroom for nearly two years. Incidentally the cabinets are solid mahogany and I will sneak them into the back of the shed.

I will take small chippings of the putty and put them in different solvents and see if it softens.

I'm Alex.

Apologies for the pic quality, but you can see that the two tweeters are mounted in a similar way in my LS3/6 / Export Monitors. HF1300 tweeter and HF2000 used as supertweeter

DSCF9577 (2) by A60man, on Flickr
    Last edited by spendorman; 05-10-2017 at 11:48.
    Spendorman

I'm Chris.

Thanks Alex, but that pussy cat is a bit of an extreme way to dampen the cabinets

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Sorry, but my 'reply with quote' is not working either????

Yes I'm very sorry to break them up but I even tried E bay at £20. Cost of postage too much I suppose. AND the wife has been giving me grief for them sitting around in the back bedroom for nearly two years. Incidentally the cabinets are solid mahogany and I will sneak them into the back of the shed.

I will take small chippings of the putty and put them in different solvents and see if it softens.
    If you are going to keep the cabinets, why not keep the units in there too. I reckon that Radford speakers are going to rise in value in the future. Their valve amps are certainly very sought after, transistors ones not so much, but even those have risen in value recently (as long as they are working). I invested in a second hand STA25 III many years ago, was £150, now worth over £1000.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Thanks Alex, but that pussy cat is a bit of an extreme way to dampen the cabinets
    Yes, notice her size, she was a big cat! shame she's no longer with us. The HF1300 should come out either from front or back. Either way, as I mentioned, be careful not to strain those wires. I suppose that you could carefully cut away the baffle board, but I suspect that it is fairly thick and tough wood. Masking tape could be used to cover the front of the tweeters.

!2 Ohms resistance is just about right for the 16 Ohm HF1300
    Spendorman

I'm Grant.

memory says they are fitted with a gasket that usually goes hard and grips solid. Usual method is to fit an oversized screw in on of holes and pull/push and it should free up
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

The putty is unaffected by all normal household solvents, so I am chipping it away slowly, being VERY careful around the wires - could be at this some time

I'm Alex.

Perhaps try a little WD40.

Those front metal grilles puzzle me a bit, even the old GEC tweeter from which I think the HF1300 is derived, have "normal" looking grilles.

http://soundup.ru/images/stories/arc...-tweeter-8.jpg

http://soundup.ru/images/stories/arc...-tweeter-7.jpg
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast