+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: what hifi..wtf?..

I'm Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I used to read WHF in my early hi-fi days (late 80s)........ In the end I ditched it for Hi-Fi Choice, and I still read HFC today. Much more informative and no Haymarket goons.
    Not to sure about HFC these days last one I read had a so called review of my speakers so I bought the thing just out of interest. Now I know reviewers have a living to make but just copy and pasting the manufacturers' description of the product and reprinting the measurements done by another mag does not constitute a review in my book.

Reading WTF in the late 80's, surely not, everyone knows the only mag to be reading in the 80's was The Flat Response....

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by REM View Post
    Not to sure about HFC these days last one I read had a so called review of my speakers so I bought the thing just out of interest. Now I know reviewers have a living to make but just copy and pasting the manufacturers' description of the product and reprinting the measurements done by another mag does not constitute a review in my book.
    What speakers do you have? I auditioned mine after reading an HFC review and they were spot on with their comments.

**EDIT** Duh, read the signature Rob you fool.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

I'll read reviews but at the end of the day they are just somebody elses opinion, nothing more, doesn't mean we'd all agree with their conclusions
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Neil.

I can tell you all why WH reviews are 1 odd and 2 why you can predict what sort of review items will get (if you know anything about the kit in for review)....except if the review is done outside the magazine headquarters (some are, but more are not)

A number of years ago What Hi-Fi had a number of purpose designed rooms made. 1 for Home Cinema, 1 for PC related items-I-Pods etc and a Hi-Fi room. The Hi-Fi room is so dead acoustically it does for sound what a warm blanket and a gallon of syrup would do...it kills dynamics, detail etc. So only bright, leaner, forward sounding kit does okay (or better) here. Its the only type of thing that cures the overly warm room, and gives a balanced sound. To have a balanced sound your room needs to have some liveness in it, but not to much. Ergo Qed Silver Anniversary gets great reviews.....and so on and so on... just think about it.

So this is why kit leaning to the brighter side of neutral does well. Its the fault of the room. I could tell you horror stories of the inept way reviews used to be done, but apparently that is all in the past.

Not heard any of Marks cables so I can't comment on them, but if they are neutral or just to the warmer side of things thats why he didn't do well imho.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Arcam and marantz (amongst others IIRC) made their amps ring slightly to make them more "exciting" to amateur mag reviewers...

WHY THE FUGG did Mark Grant decide to give one of the best cables out there to these idiots I'll never know.....

By someone who knows the QED wires from long experience.........

They're nt known as WTF for nothing. Hopefully the TV's on the front will put off audio buyers and the rag will be absorbed into What Video & TV before too long...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm ChrisB.

Reading WTF in the late 80's, surely not, everyone knows the only mag to be reading in the 80's was The Flat Response
    The Flat Response was long gone by the late 80's - the silly-mag was HiFi Review by then.

WHY THE FUGG did Mark Grant decide to give one of the best cables out there to these idiots I'll never know.....
    As I said, I did warn him but it was too late. He'd already sent them.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

It won't affect business as I suspect that much of his income is from "us" and those we recommend these cables to.

QED sells through Sevenoaks primarily I suspect, although I remember from past experience that as their stores made hugely more from Chord Co (almost twice as much IIRC and with a lovely tubular curvy display rack) this latter make was recommended instead...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

It's his own fault for sending them to WHF and a mistake he'll live to regret.

No matter how bad WHF is, it's the main mag in all shops and supermarkets, so it sells by the bucketload. Unfortunately. A good review in WFH will mean lots of ££££ in sales, a bad review the opposite.

So now when recommending Mark Grant Cable4s, as well as the 'never heard of him' and 'they're as cheap as chips so must be crap' lines, we'll also have to contend with the 'They got a crap review, so they must be crap' brigade.

I'd love to read the review but there's no way I'm gonna buy that mag. I'll have a read next time I go to Morrisons.

Public announcement for any non AOS member reading this thread - Do NOT believe what you read in WHF, listen with your own ears, you won't be disappointed.

I'm Dave.

All publicity is good publicity or so I'm told.....

The good news is that WHF is only on the shelves for a couple of weeks and then it's in landfil - where it belongs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast