+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Triode's 300B , 2A3 , 811 , 845

I'm steve.

old valves like the px4 and px25 are in my veiw still good value.. the better valves of today's production still don't seem to quite get to the levels the old valves did, at nearly the same sort of prices...
    the advantage with px4/25's is that there are few 'px' amps out there, most are diy jobs.. so the prices have been reasonable... unlike 300b's which is a much rarer tube in this country (old production ) and the amps are common in the dealers

2a3's and 6b4g are at a disadvantage in my books, they are usually have 2 anode's in each valve ( most are 2x 45 valves in one) so using these, one is running effectively a parallel single ended... not ideal in my opinion.. but not that bad either..
    there are some early us mono plate 2a3's which i would guess will be on the lines of the old px4 globes.. but rare and expensive...

my px 25 amp will do headbanging music better than most.. but that the other issue with small amps...to get a balanced sound usually big expensive speakers are required to get the very best out of them...

cheers
    steve
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by SPS View Post
    old valves like the px4 and px25 are in my veiw still good value.. the better valves of today's production still don't seem to quite get to the levels the old valves did, at nearly the same sort of prices...
    the advantage with px4/25's is that there are few 'px' amps out there, most are diy jobs.. so the prices have been reasonable... unlike 300b's which is a much rarer tube in this country (old production ) and the amps are common in the dealers

2a3's and 6b4g are at a disadvantage in my books, they are usually have 2 anode's in each valve ( most are 2x 45 valves in one) so using these, one is running effectively a parallel single ended... not ideal in my opinion.. but not that bad either..
    there are some early us mono plate 2a3's which i would guess will be on the lines of the old px4 globes.. but rare and expensive...

my px 25 amp will do headbanging music better than most.. but that the other issue with small amps...to get a balanced sound usually big expensive speakers are required to get the very best out of them...

cheers
    steve
    Hi Steve

Love the pictures of your latest projects over in the DIY Gallery thread. No doubt you will have one of the best and most interesting rooms at the upcoming bake-off show (assuming you are there). Your designs look fantastic and imho put many commercial designs to shame visually. Sadly I have not heard any of your kit ....some day perhaps Those that have say they are excellent.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Steve's stuff is great,those speakers of his get better every time I hear them!

i would love to try out px4 i have tryed and heard many of the triodes but £80 for a maybe and £130+for a good one is still a fair investment.
    i use 6a3 5 watt amp and i love it and if cash was a little tight i could replace all 8 valves new old stock £20 pounds,and a capacitor went high in value and i i got all new phillips £12
    these amps are easy to mark of your list ,
    i think what dave cawley said sums it all up

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Neil,

Hi Steve

Love the pictures of your latest projects over in the DIY Gallery thread.
    Unless I've missed something, Steve's not posted any pictures of his latest projects in the DIY Gallery thread...

Are you sure that you're not getting mixed up with Steve the Shadow?

In saying that, however, Steve Shiels (SPS') stuff is also excellent, as are his speakers, as indeed Ali has pointed out

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Neil,

Unless I've missed something, Steve's not posted any pictures of his latest projects in the DIY Gallery thread...

Are you sure that you're not getting mixed up with Steve the Shadow?

In saying that, however, Steve Shiels (SPS') stuff is also excellent, as are his speakers, as indeed Ali has pointed out

Marco.
    Yes, mixed up oops. I'll crawl back into my cave now

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm steve.

just catching up...
    steve the shadow's kit is very good... funnily enough he was round at mine last night with his latest px25 amp, now driven by 1930's mazda british triodes ..much as i favour...
    it sounded very very good...

my kit had some nice comments about it at last years wigwam bake off at scalford .. which i will be attending this year, although with some very different speakers to the open baffles i had last year... for me speakers are the most important part of my system.. most speakers seem to have a lack of life or realness about them if you know what i mean
    using drivers with fast exceleration seems to make the sound more lifelike.. these are generally expensive and more peaky so are more difficult to put together..
    i feel i'm on the right track at this point...hopefully any one at the wig wam show will have a chance to hear them and can agree or disagree to their heart's content...i'm happy for the moment

there's to many steve's...
    cheers
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123