+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music First Classic V2 Pre-Amp With Audion 300B Mono Blocks & Harbeth 30.1 Speakers

I'm Steve.

Default Music First Classic V2 Pre-Amp With Audion 300B Mono Blocks & Harbeth 30.1 Speakers

Hi guys,

I am going to be making the move back to valve’s very soon, this time I am thinking of the 300B‘s set or pse mono blocks.
    Can anyone help me on this one? I am thinking on the lines of using a Audion Silver Night 300B PSE Anniversary Mono Blocks, with a Music First Audio Classic V2 Pre-Amp.

I have heard the Audion with different speakers but not my own and liked the amps alot , My question’ is, Has anyone used or heard the Audion 300B with Harbeth 30.1 speakers? As they are 86d/b I am not sure if the amps will be able to drive the speakers to well.

Has anyone heard the Music First Pre-Amp with the Audion 300b’s before? Any help on this matter would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Steve.
    Last edited by topdogya; 05-10-2017 at 17:25.
    Garrard 401, Isokinetik Silver Meledy 750L, Denon DL103r Hana SL , Russ Collinson Plinth , Deco Audio Silvercore SUT, Croft RIAA R Phono Stage, Arcam FMJ CD37, Musical Fidelity M6 Dac, Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista M3, Harbeth 30.1, Something Solid Stands, Atlas Cables, Power Inspired Regenerator , Okki Nokki RCM. Hi Fi Rack

I'm Bob.

I would suspect from your kit list that you have used and/or visited Deco Audio before, who are Audion stockists. Have you thought of taking your speakers to them for a demonstration using the Audion amps ? They have three demo rooms (of differing sizes) at their "new" premises and Peter Empson is a very amenable dealer. Deco also stock Music First so you may be able to get him to set up something pretty close to your proposed system, to which you can add your speakers.

I have no financial connection with Deco Audio, other than having spent a fair bit of time (and money) there over a number of years !

Bob
    k

NA Space Deck/NA Ace Space 12" arm/Benz Micro Wood SL - Noteworthy Phonote phono - Consonance CD120L CDP - Audion Select passive pre - Audion Silver Night Anniversary 300b power amp - Sugden A21a - ProAc Response D20R - Quadraspire Q4 rack

Michell GyroDec/AudioNote Arm ii/Ortofon Quintet Black - Silvercore "One to Ten" SUT - Croft RIAA - Marantz 6005 CD - Croft 25R Pre - Croft 7 Power - Heco Celan 300

I'm Steve.

Hi Bob

Yes I use and visit Deco Audio and know Peter quite well, very nice guy and also to deal with, like you I have also spent a lot of time and money with them.
    It was at Deco Audio that I first heard the Audion brand and liked them very much, some people say that Audion Amps lack Bass, I am not to sure on that. ever Audion Amp I have heard has had a nice tight bass,anyway Peter seem's to think that the 300B mono blocks will be more then able to drive my Harbeths and says that when I am ready I can take them home and try them in my own set up, and this is what I will do.

I thought I would put this post up to see if anyone has tried the Audion 300B's with Harbeths

I did not know that Deco Audio stock Music First, I will have to have a word with Peter,What do you think of your Audion Silver night's ?

Steve.
    Garrard 401, Isokinetik Silver Meledy 750L, Denon DL103r Hana SL , Russ Collinson Plinth , Deco Audio Silvercore SUT, Croft RIAA R Phono Stage, Arcam FMJ CD37, Musical Fidelity M6 Dac, Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista M3, Harbeth 30.1, Something Solid Stands, Atlas Cables, Power Inspired Regenerator , Okki Nokki RCM. Hi Fi Rack

I'm Bob.

Hi, Steve,

I heard the 300B mono blocks in the demo system he set up recently for one of his open nights (http://www.decoaudio.com/deco_audio_..._event_17.html). It's difficult to make a judgement when the rest of the system is so different from my own ! There certainly didn't seem to be any lack of bass or loss of bass definition in that system.

I use the Silver Night Anniversary stereo power amp, as opposed to mono blocks, and have no issues at all with it in my system. The speakers are quite sensitive anyway so the 7 wpc are more than adequate in a modest sized room. Again, I don't have an issue with bass, if anything it occasionally needs tempering. The amplifier is just about modded out as well; Deco did a complete replacement and upgrade of caps/resistors/silver wire earlier in the year, which certainly improved it quite nicely !

Good luck with your trial of the mono blocks; I'll be interested to know how you get on.

Bob
    Last edited by khapahk; 05-10-2017 at 19:51. Reason: typo
    k

NA Space Deck/NA Ace Space 12" arm/Benz Micro Wood SL - Noteworthy Phonote phono - Consonance CD120L CDP - Audion Select passive pre - Audion Silver Night Anniversary 300b power amp - Sugden A21a - ProAc Response D20R - Quadraspire Q4 rack

Michell GyroDec/AudioNote Arm ii/Ortofon Quintet Black - Silvercore "One to Ten" SUT - Croft RIAA - Marantz 6005 CD - Croft 25R Pre - Croft 7 Power - Heco Celan 300

I'm Dave.

A lot depends on how loud you like to play and the size of room.

The Audion 300B amps are not really powerful enough for Harbeth speakers or many modern speakers. The Harbeths are not particularly efficient but are an easy load but still, the 300B has a very low output.

Best bet is to try the 300B in your room and hear if they can do it for you.

I'm Steve.

Hi Bob

It sounds like Deco Audio have done a good job and update on your Audion Amp,Did you buy your amp from Deco Audio?

I was also at the Bespoke Audio Company evening, They do seem a very nice Pre-Amp but at a very not so nice price, I don't know what my wife would say if I came home with one, Lol.

Yes I will let you know how it goes with the Audion Mono Blocks ,

I'm Steve.

Hi Dave I hope your well, I did buy my Harbeth 30.1 speakers through you after hearing them at your place and just love them.

After Hearing the Audion 300 B they were just so musical they got me thinking would they be able to drive my Harbeth 30.1's, as you say try them and see, I thought I would put up a post to see if anyone has tried them before.

Steve.

I'm Dave.

I have tried only an Audion integrated but it really didn't do the Harbeths justice. It was too low in power for my tastes and a bit fat and lazy. It looked the biz and was a good price but didn't do it for me. They are really meant to be used with far more sensitive speakers.

The only to know for sure, is for you to try it at home with a wide range of music and crank it up.

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by topdogya View Post
    Hi Dave I hope your well, I did buy my Harbeth 30.1 speakers through you after hearing them at your place and just love them.

After Hearing the Audion 300 B they were just so musical they got me thinking would they be able to drive my Harbeth 30.1's, as you say try them and see, I thought I would put up a post to see if anyone has tried them before.

Steve.
    When I bought SHL5+ from Dave I took round my 300B-XLS amplifier, about 22w. I'm not a bass junkie, but after about 9 months with the combination I realised I was missing out. I tried 35w KT88, better but still not enough, even though above the stated minimum requirement. I went to solid state 140w or more and have never looked back.

Dave has probably sold more Croft amps (60 or 70w?) for Harbeth than he cares to remember, and I see you use their phono amp already. My experience with three pairs of Harbeth is that they thrive with more power, whether Croft, Quad QSP or something like that.
    Wilson, Devialet, Innuos, Puritan, Claro

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by topdogya View Post
    Hi Bob

It sounds like Deco Audio have done a good job and update on your Audion Amp,Did you buy your amp from Deco Audio?

I was also at the Bespoke Audio Company evening, They do seem a very nice Pre-Amp but at a very not so nice price, I don't know what my wife would say if I came home with one, Lol.

Yes I will let you know how it goes with the Audion Mono Blocks ,
    they do make a nice pre but the mfa baby ref v1 is essentially the same at lower cost
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast