+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sony ps-x6

I'm Mike.

Default Sony ps-x6

Just bought one of these off the bay whilst waiting for my NAS interspace to be fixed. Any thoughts on them? Seem to get a decent write up on the Vintage Knob, it looks to be in nice condition, although the lids a bit shagged, just hope the tonearms ok. Anything to check? Bearing oil I guess first!

I'm Clive.

The user manuals for these decks as with others in the "X" range state that no additional bearing lubrication is needed.

It is important to take care not touching and avoiding damage to a metal strip on the inside of the platter that controls the speed.

I'm Mike.

Thanks, I was actually gonna put some oil on the bearing, but may'be not now. Any straight forward and easy checks I could do on this to make sure its running at to full capacity as it were?

I'm Clive.

I have a PS-X600 which has a similar drive to the X6 but radically different arm. The key is to make sure the speed is stable. I cant really advise on the rest of the X6 operation which looks as if it may be a bit different.

I'm Adam.

I bought a PS-X7 at the weekend and need to give it a once-over as well. As said, the motors don’t generally need lubricating and as long as it runs at the right speed(s) and the touch sensitive buttons work fine, then you should be good to go.

The automatic mechanisms can get stiffer with age, so lubricating them is sometimes required but luckily Sony didn’t buy their grease from Garrard’s supplier, so it rarely turns to concrete, unlike on SP25s!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Mike.

Arrived today, appears to be in fine condition. Speeds runs stable judging by strobe, and touch controls work which are great. It came with a Shure cart but its sitting too low and sound is only coming out of one channel, so I'll bin that. The tonearm weight seems a bit loose, may'be this is normal for these TTs, its very easy to turn. Think I'll get it to my local Audio T and get them to fit a new cartridge. Something below £200, any ideas? My other TT - an interspace has been sent back to NAS for them to fit a new armboard, so I needed something to get me through next few weeks, and this px-6 was a £100 and looks pretty good.

+ Reply to Thread