+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: inexpensive streamer?

I'm David.

Default inexpensive streamer?

sorting the dining room system,
    gonna use my dynaudio 42's or usher s520's, a miniwatt (when hannah buys me one) and my 7520
    was going to use the iphone with a digital dock but that limits the use for hannah when im not in.
    so whats the options for streamers...
    its preferablle that it works with twonky media as thats what serves the majik and i dont want to risk confusing the main system with other servers...
    any thoughts...
    id quite like a sqeezebox touch, but i cant afford one and know little of the previous models.. do they work with twonky?
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Roku (Pinnacle) Soundbridge works nicely with Twonky, or a PS3!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    id quite like a sqeezebox touch, but i cant afford one and know little of the previous models.. do they work with twonky?
    Nope. Designed to work with Slimserver/Squeeze Center/Squeezebox Server (delete as applicable). A chap from Linn did write a plugin for the server program which enables the program to recognise Linn DS players.

Chris

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Roku (Pinnacle) Soundbridge works nicely with Twonky, or a PS3!
    Can they play flac files yet ?

Chris

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Dunno, actually, never tried (only lossless I've bothered with is ALAC or plain old uncompressed WAV) I'll try and find out.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm David.

yeah, it needs to play flac..

chris- i just had a massive faff the other day when twonky shit its self when i was messing with foobar as a server/controler.. had to redownload the new version of twonky to get it up and running again, so i dont really want to do anything to jepodise that again... twonky has been perfect otherwise, so thats why im keen to stick with it...
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm David.

i just did a big convert from mp3 to higher bitrate aac for my ipod, so that might be ok if roku plays that if they are going to make them work with flac one day?

I'm fightingmywayoutofawetecho.

Hi Hamish,

I use a PS3(so does Dunc)with PS3 media server. This plays flac no probs and hooked up to to a good dac is as good as anything affordable and beyond on the market i reckon.

Ian.
    My System:

Linn Akurate DSM,Naim 32.5 pre amp Hicap,Naim Snaxo Hicap,3x Naim 250 power amps,Active Naim NBLs.
    Dave Hewitt MR PLANK 4 watt SE and Jm Lab Electra 905s.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Walker View Post
    Hi Hamish,

I use a PS3(so does Dunc)with PS3 media server. This plays flac no probs and hooked up to to a good dac is as good as anything affordable and beyond on the market i reckon.

Ian.
    needs to be little...
    im still tempted to have a go with one against the majik.... but i mentioned it to hannah and she looked at me like i was just trying to come up with an excuse to get a ps3... the more i went on about it the less she belived me too....
    a shame coz if it was better, i could flog both the bluray player and the majik and have a consol to play games on

Roku Soundbridge:

"Our built-in software supports WMA, AAC*, ALAC, MP3, WAV, and AIFF. To play protected WMA files, you will need Microsoft's DRM 10, which is included with Windows Media Connect. Unfortunately, rights-managed AAC files purchased from the Apple music store can not be played on SoundBridge. (FLAC and Ogg-Vorbis can be played using Firefly.)"

(Firefly is free, AFAIK, and can run alongside Twonky)
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast