+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mono carts - what we all using?

I'm Lee.

Default Mono carts - what we all using?

As the title says, what we all using for mono vinyl playback, Ive accumulated quite a bit of mono pressings lately especially classical, Blue Note Jazz etc and have been considering a mono cart for the Jelco 750D. I dont want to go to the extremes of an SPU or Miyajima so would set the budget at a maximum of say £300

From what I have read on the internet getting a mono cart is a game changer for mono vinyl playback, is this the case?

Look forward to hearing from you

Lee
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm openingabottleofwine.

What is your budget Lee?

Have you considered the Denon DL-102? https://www.amazon.co.uk/DENON-DL-10.../dp/B0007DA21M
    Barry

I'm Lee.

upto £300 Barry
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

There are a couple of new Denon DL-102s available on Amazon for less than £300.
    Barry

I'm David.

I’ve tried in the past the Denon DL102 and it always sounded a bit dull and not very engaging in my system.

The best mono cart I’ve heard and is probably the cheapest out there if you can find one is the GE VRII unfortunately it normally means importing from the US which isn’t cheap and finding decent styluses is sometimes difficult but for full blast Mono fun and excitement the VRII takes some beating.
    David.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Moko View Post
    I’ve tried in the past the Denon DL102 and it always sounded a bit dull and not very engaging in my system.
    The DL-102 is not really a mono cartridge in the classic sense. It was designed for professional use, playing stereo records on mono AM radio, which of course has a truncated frequency response compared to FM (which is why it doesn't need a full frequency response). It's also a bit oddball in specification having 3mv output (MM equivalent, more or less) but 240 ohm impedance, making it hard to match correctly. (Not that it would sound like a full range cartridge even if you did).

Bear in mind that the whole point of having a mono cartridge is to have 'true' mono which is picking up only in the horiontal, which means a single coil or standard coils turned round to 90 degrees. Anything else is just the same as hitting the mono button, it helps a bit but often sounds a bit flat. In some (but not all) true mono cartridges, including many vintage ones, the only motion is in the horizontal which can mean it can potentially damage stereo records if you use it with them.

The AT33 Mono cartridges are true mono and pretty decent, and within budget. The Ortofon 2M Mono likewise (I had the 78 version). I really liked the Lyra Dorian Mono (indeed it's my favourite Lyra) but I think discontinued now. Vintage mono cartridges can be a bit of a risk, both in terms of their weight/tracking force required and also impedance matching as few are MM standard 47 ohm specification.

I wouldn't bother with most MM stereo-turned-mono cartridges as they are just stereo cartridges (two coils), strapped for mono ie the coils wired together in parallel - compared to true mono you get barely any advantage from doing so. These include Grado, Rega etc.

Pity the OP missed the SPU Mono GM MkII I sold here recently for £275 ....

BTW lots and lots of mono discussion over at the Lenco Forum, there's a special mono sub-forum.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Moko View Post

The best mono cart I’ve heard and is probably the cheapest out there if you can find one is the GE VRII unfortunately it normally means importing from the US which isn’t cheap and finding decent styluses is sometimes difficult but for full blast Mono fun and excitement the VRII takes some beating.
    I hope so! I have one and have bought quite a few aftermarket styli for it, but what I have got for my outlay is not usable, the styli are wonky and shite. One seller Insisited they were 'fine for an old cartridge', but I regard a stylus mounted 20 degrees from perpendicular (laterally) to the cantilever as fine only in the same manner as Shane McGowan's teeth are 'fine'. So the search continues. If I may suggest: If you buy a VR11, only buy a cart with a usable 1mil stylus as part of the package because the 10-20 bucks a time for junkers starts to add up.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

According to this: http://www3.sympatico.ca/murraya/DenonMonoPage.htm, the DL-102 has a FR extending to 20KHz. And if loaded with 1,000 Ohm the output is flatter than it would be when loaded with 47KOhm.
    Barry

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    According to this: http://www3.sympatico.ca/murraya/DenonMonoPage.htm, the DL-102 has a FR extending to 20KHz. And if loaded with 1,000 Ohm the output is flatter than it would be when loaded with 47KOhm.
    It's usually only quoted to 10khz for the reasons I mentioned (it's only +2db to 10k). The page also confirms that it's designed for playing stereo records.

"The DL-102 is a monophonic output moving coil cartridge designed for monophonic replay as well as the monophonic playback of stereo recordings.", means that the cartridge will play stereo records without damage, presumably because the stylus can move in both the vertical as well as the horizontal plane with similar compliance figures.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast