Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Bad language on AoS

  1. #1
    Join Date: May 2009

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 3,733

    Default Bad language on AoS

    I was surprised to see someone being pulled up over the use of the word 'twat' yesterday. If said person had used the word against an individual, as in 'you are a twat', then I could see why that might be out of order, but he was simply using it in the way you might say something was 'a pain in the arse', or a 'a right balls-ache'. Even more weirdly, when someone pointed out the 'three words daily' thread for comparison, he was told by the moderator that twd is a 'light-hearted' thread where, by implication, such language was OK.

    Now, I seldom use bad language, being the polite person I am, but it would be good to know which words are or are not OK. pfm has a 'swear filter', where the forum software censors certain words, leaving asterisks in place of letters, so the job is done for you. But what's OK on AoS language-wise?

  2. #2
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 73,197
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    I trust that this is not an excuse, Joe, 'cunningly disguised' to regurgitate yesterdays events? Because if I see ANY evidence of that, not only will you be banned, but anyone else guilty of such. I hope I've made myself clear on that.

    That said, I shall address the issue of 'bad language' later.

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

  3. #3
    Join Date: May 2009

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 3,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I trust that this is not an excuse, Joe, 'cunningly disguised' to regurgitate yesterdays events? Because if I see ANY evidence of that, not only will you be banned, but anyone else guilty of such. I hope I've made myself clear on that.

    That said, I shall address the issue of 'bad language' later.

    Marco.
    I thought it was crystal-clear that I was avoiding any mention of the context and focusing specifically on the moderator's criticism of a particular word. (I raised the issue on that thread, but it got 'lost in the noise')

  4. #4
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 73,197
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Yes, I understand that, but you also have to realise that it could give others an excuse to rake over events that occurred during the thread where said 'bad language' took place, so I'm simply nipping that one right in the bud!

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

  5. #5
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 73,197
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Ok, 'bad language'... Aside from anything else, Joe, had you considered that the person (Josie) who found the "twat" comment offensive was female? It certainly doesn't seem like it, so I shouldn't really need to say any more on that.

    In reference to 3WD, that is in the off-topic section, where members can indulge in some nonsense or laddish humour, or when they're bored and want to post something, but can't be bothered entertaining anything more serious.

    However, we wouldn't allow some of the language used there to filter onto the main areas of the forum (such as used to happen regularly on the Wam), and to my knowledge that hasn't happened here, and if it has and others have been aware of it, will have been removed.

    Yes, some people may find some of what's written in 3WD offensive, but then so do I when, say, something I've invested my time and money in is ignorantly dismissed as "foo" or someone indirectly calls my sanity into question, by way of implying I'm prone to delusion!

    Moreover, in terms of 3WD, two of our most prominent female members, Bev and Josie, have been known to contribute to that thread and participate in the often 'adult nature' of the posts, including the light-hearted references to 'lady parts', so one can safely assume that they don't consider it as offensive. If they did, or if any female member here complained, we'd put a stop to it.

    At the end of the day, however, if you don't like the content of 3WD, you don't have to visit that part of the forum, but it's staying put, no matter how much some joyless, prudish, self-righteous 'morality-saviours' like to tut-tut, who jack-off every morning to their posters of Mary Whitehouse

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

  6. #6
    Join Date: May 2009

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 3,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ok, 'bad language'... Aside from anything else, Joe, had you considered that the person (Josie) who found the "twat" comment offensive was female? It certainly doesn't seem like it, so I shouldn't really need to say any more on that.
    .
    That might be relevant, were it not for the fact that said female is, as you say, quite happy with references to female bodily parts in twd. Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

  7. #7
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 73,197
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    No worries, Joe. There's a thing called 'being able to laugh at yourself' and not take yourself or life too seriously, but sometimes certain words or phrases will trigger a reaction. I suspect that applies in some degree to Josie (and most probably Bev), in reference to your above comment.

    At the end of the day, what someone, male or female, finds as funny, is personal, so folks simply have to respect that fact. We all have our own ideas as to what qualifies as such, and so we should not superimpose our judgement on that (or indeed our self-righteous moral values) onto others

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

  8. #8
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 37,711
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I was surprised to see someone being pulled up over the use of the word 'twat' yesterday. If said person had used the word against an individual, as in 'you are a twat', then I could see why that might be out of order, but he was simply using it in the way you might say something was 'a pain in the arse', or a 'a right balls-ache'. Even more weirdly, when someone pointed out the 'three words daily' thread for comparison, he was told by the moderator that twd is a 'light-hearted' thread where, by implication, such language was OK.

    Now, I seldom use bad language, being the polite person I am, but it would be good to know which words are or are not OK. pfm has a 'swear filter', where the forum software censors certain words, leaving asterisks in place of letters, so the job is done for you. But what's OK on AoS language-wise?
    Personally my take on it is that if you use something that a mod decides should be removed then the author should be ok with it. I don't think a definitive list is needed. Mods have a job to do and are expected to use "their" feelings on this. This is why they are there and folk should go along with it rather than get the hump etc. But sure you knew this.
    Regards,
    Grant ....

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, SPOTIFY PREMIUM - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED AND FILTERED.

  9. #9
    Join Date: May 2009

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 3,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Personally my take on it is that if you use something that a mod decides should be removed then the author should be ok with it. I don't think a definitive list is needed. Mods have a job to do and are expected to use "their" feelings on this. This is why they are there and folk should go along with it rather than get the hump etc. But sure you knew this.
    Oh, yeah, I've never envied the task moderators have, which is thankless and unpaid. I might argue the toss if I think a moderator has misunderstood what I was saying, but if my choice of words is unacceptable for whatever reason, I'd have no problem re-phrasing what I'd written. Though, like I said, I rarely use what might broadly be described as 'bad language' (unless I hit my finger with a hammer).

  10. #10
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 37,711
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Oh, yeah, I've never envied the task moderators have, which is thankless and unpaid. I might argue the toss if I think a moderator has misunderstood what I was saying, but if my choice of words is unacceptable for whatever reason, I'd have no problem re-phrasing what I'd written. Though, like I said, I rarely use what might broadly be described as 'bad language' (unless I hit my finger with a hammer).
    believe me, if we get it wrong we get told so. as does the owner. It happens, although not very often.
    Regards,
    Grant ....

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, SPOTIFY PREMIUM - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED AND FILTERED.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •