+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Are The Best Sites For Downloading High-Resolution Audio?

I'm Martin.

It is possible to downsample with no effect on sound quality and indeed this has been done by the AES and others in order to test if there is any difference in the audibility of recordings made with extended bandwidth. Unsurprisingly no-one who took part in the tests was able to tell the difference. Had they been able to it would have been a very big deal as far as medical science is concerned.

One other thing worth looking out for is that some publishers will issue a high rez recording along with the same recording in 16/44.1 as a comparison. They will deliberately hobble the 16/44.1 in order to demonstrate that the high rez is worthwhile. Shocking really, but the fact is there are no limits to what some people will do to put food on the table.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm David.

Default Syngate Records 24 bit Recordings - Samplerates Question

Syngate Records are looking to start selling 24 bit recordings. The latest album by Michael Brückner is in 24 bit format. It is 24 bit 44.1Khz. I think other artists will follow soon, I plan to. As for the sample rate, in my own tests the jump from 44.1 to higher seems to make very little difference compared to the jump from 16 bit to 24 bit which is noticeable on a good system or cans. Also the higher sample rate can sometimes sound worse. Maybe these higher rates suit clean jazz and classical better but less so for synth based music. Some synths don't play well at higher rates and can even produce unwanted changes to a sound.

My latest release (messages) I stuck with 16 bit but was careful in mastering and not going for maximum loudness which many artists still seem to do. Everything maximised in volume catering for poor systems and headphones were the soft and very quiet passages would be lost guess. I can't quite bring myself to be heavy with the compressor

What are peoples opinions on sample rates for 24 bit. What would be accepted in the Hi-Fi world. There seems to be no standard. 44.1khz 24 bit is the easier recording mode with the final recording output exactly matching the laid tracks in the software workstation. 88.2khz also works well since it is 2x the rate. 96khz I have found to be an issue sometimes.

is 24 bit 44.1 considered HD recording ? Or does it need to be 48K+
    David.

I'm Richard.

David,

Have you looked at this very recent thread/discussion here?

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...solution-Audio

BW

Richard
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:
    Cambridge CXC Cd player; Inspire Apollo deck + Roksan Nima arm + Ortofon 2M Black; Denon TU-580RD tuner; Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Rpi with Volumio. RME DAC.

Amplification: WD KEL84+ valve amp; Rega Brio, Quad 306 (DADA modded, - in reserve)). Trichord Dino2 & Dino+ PS;

Wiim mini, Wiim Pro, Wiim ProPlus streamers

Loudspeakers:
    Living Voice Auditorium IBX-R2.
    Q Acoustics 2010 in the 'study'.

Cables/stands: Chords; Van Dammes 4mm

Any other hi-fi bits:
    Apple MacMini Pro; Senn HD598, 467,
    Linear PSs for Rpi and DAC. Pure mains conditioning.

I'm David.

Just started a similar thread here

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...rates-Question

I record music for release on Syngate Records and to my ears the jump to 24 bit at 44.1 makes a reasonable difference on very good headphones / ears but the jump in sample rate has little or no effect and in some cases is worse.
    David.

I'm David.

Can maybe a mod move my original post to the other thread and delete / close this thread then ? Seems like the ideal place to carry on the discussion...
    David.

I'm Martin.

What sort of difference do you perceive between 16 and 24 bit David?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Merged. I currently use 24 bit/ 44.1 in jriver oddly.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Recording is different but for playback there should be no audible difference.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Jeff.

...when I worked at LFD Audio I remember my boss Dr Bews saying that he didnt really agree with higher bit rates because the full potential of CD was rarely realised, ie, 16 bit 44.1 is plenty good enough.

And I can also remember hearing some test cd's that Bews had and they sounded absolutely amazing, which kind of backs up his view.

So, I find myself agreeing with Macca, it probably is the better re mastering that's making the "hi res" tracks sound better, rather than the increased bandwidth.

And yes, there's money in it ! On some sites the Hi Res albums sell for about £30 !

But...saying all the above, If buying a Hi Res version is the only way to get the better quality re master, then that's what we have to do..
    Technics Sl1210 mk2. MCRU Linear Power Supply Step 2, Funk Firm Achromat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Kab Tone Arm Damper, Kab arm rewiring kit, Kab Litz RCA wiring, Ortofon Concorde DJ S with Stylus 30, IanMac bearing.
    LFD MMO Phono Stage. Rega Elex-R Integrated Amp.Rega RS7 Speakers, TNT FFRC Speaker Cable. Nessie Vinyl Master RCM ( to take the misery out of record cleaning )
    Rega Dac.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Recording is different but for playback there should be no audible difference.
    Ive heard minor differences in setting different rates, although its not great and sometimes inaudible. Again though i'm old and ears dont go up as far as young uns
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast