+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Are The Best Sites For Downloading High-Resolution Audio?

I'm Martin.

Default Which Are The Best Sites For Downloading High-Resolution Audio?

Hi

Ive just been doing some basic research and listening to some samples which sound very nice through my Grado headphones. Im getting into this and beginning to see this now.

Ive just heard samples of Thriller, The Carpenters and Sounds of War on piano and violin...it sounded better than cd and a good challenge to the vinyl copies Ive heard. when I click the sample arrow Im not entirely sure whats coming down the line but it sounded very nice indeed...clearer more detailed, more controlled, less sibilance and other lower grade nasties

Ive found a top 5 listed from the Sony site

Acoustic Sounds Super HiRez
    HDtracks
    ProStudio Masters
    iTrax
    Native DSD Music and Beyond

Ive sampled a couple and just wondered if anybody else uses these sites. I want to get into high res audio and together with a DAC and valve amplifier I may be on the right track.

I was looking at the Fiio player and also what software I need on computers and phones.

Cheers
    Martin

I'm Peter.

I use HDTracks and sometimes a couple of the others mentioned. JRiver is my preferred interface.

Download resolution is a matter of preference, but anything 96 to 11mHz DSD is good. However, make sure your preferred player can handle the highest resolution available and you have the space to store these files ( they can be very large indeed - several GB.)

Bare in mind High Res Music ain’t cheap !! And not all labels / artists are available.

Tidal music streaming is also very good.

I’m sure others will have differing views.

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Peter.

Sorry, I forgot mention..... make sure your DAC (when you decide the model) is also capable of DSD playback..... some/many are not!! Otherwise you will be limited to 192 / 24 bit files.

I’ll shut up now

I'm Martin.

Don't waste your money, all you are buying, at best, is a different mastering. There is no intrinsic benefit to so called 'high resolution' audio, it makes no odds if it is 24/96, 24/192 or whatever. Listen to the same master in 16/44.1 it will sound identical. The whole thing is a total con.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Peter.

Not into HD downloads then played on my system, it sure ain’t a con.

Each to our own !!

I'm Martin.

If it sounds different or better, it is a different mastering. It isn't because of the frequncies beyond your hearing that are not on the recording anyway, unless they used hi res mics to record it. It's a con.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Peter.

Seems like your not to be convinced as I worked for both Decca and Island Records in the the day,...... do you really think they have dug out the two inch master tapes to do the new re realises?.

Me thinks not... perhaps digitised to a reasonable standard. This is called HD music. I have both Vinyl that sounds good and bad..... the same with HD downloads. It’s nothing to with what you perceive to hear! It’s what sounds good, in either format.

Sorry, but not getting into some no win argument about the black stuff.... against other formats.

We all have our own views

I'm Peter.

In addition..... my apologies to the guy that posted the. Question in the first place.

We have not answered you question...... sorry

I'm guy.

This one is free (and legal):

https://archive.org/details/cj2009-10-05.ku100_at37

Cowboy Junkies live, recorded using "dummy head" technique and downloads as FLAC - great on headphones on my little Sony hi res player.

I'm Rob.

My two favourite sources of FLAC files, including hi-res, are Linn Records and qobuz
    Rob.